Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

has anyone ever compared a u.s.optic to a nightforce or leupold at 2000 yards?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

has anyone ever compared a u.s.optic to a nightforce or leupold at 2000 yards?

I don't know how many guys have heard about these relatively new scopes called U.S. Optics, but I sure would LOVE to find out more about them from actual owners. They claim to have double the resolution of Nightforce and Leupold long range scopes. And they are made to order in custom configurations. You can get a 30,40,or 50 mm tube with a 50,80, or 100 mm objective! You can also supposedly get external or internal adjustments. I am interested in any info I can get because I'm currently building a rifle for 2000 yards+ and I would like to put the best possible scope on it. I have always liked the Leupold LR's but if these U.S. scopes really have double the resolution past 1500 yards they would almost be worth the $4200 sticker price-maybe!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: has anyone ever compared a u.s.optic to a nightforce or leupold at 2000 yards?

www.usoptics.com is a good start. They have so many configs I'd just call them...tell them what you want. 5.5-22 NF is fine with me...can't see how USO would be worth twice the $$$ ore more.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: has anyone ever compared a u.s.optic to a nightforce or leupold at 2000 yards?

Look up either here or www.snipershide.com or www.westcoasttactical.com that goes by the handle 'DMCI'. The guy is very well informed about the U.S. Optics scopes and speaks highly of them. Bit out of my price range and entirely overkill for what I need (i.e. I don't think I need Hubble-grade glass when I know the limiting factor is me) but peoples tastes and opinions differ.

Enjoy,

Monte
Old 09-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Big problem going past 2000 yards is not just the glass. You have to have a way to get the MOA you need.

That usually means 3 options.

1. Unertl external adjustment scopes. Super glas and easily changed reticles. Fixed power and not weatherproof.

2. Regular scope such as NF or Leupold with custom rings with external adjustments such as Iveys ($750)

3. USOPTICs with the 200 or 300 MOA adjustment. The SN9 is an example of that. Loaded out 8-40x with all the goodies can easily run $4000 plus but glas is as good as Unertl

I have a Unertl BV-20 that is as good as I need on a 338 Lapua Ack Improved. Has all the adjustment I need and cost $450 on Ebay.

BH
Old 09-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

I use Leupold ( by premier ) that OK but need special canted base adjustable ( 120 moa = 2 ) to get enought moa to reach target over 1 miles

IOR are good for the job but 16 is a bit not enought a fixed in 20/24 x will be a very nice tool

I have a friend who use a USO ( 17 x fixed 35 mm main tube ) that OK but sveral important point to check with GIANT SCOPE

big front lense make high scope mount and cant is very important

big front lense make high scope mount and try to shoot with confortable head position that very important to make repeatable string

exit pupil acceptable is near 2 mm so front bell diameter / power give you exit pupil

so 2 x 24 = 48 mm of front lense so no need to get hudge front lense that make scope
costly / heavy and unconfortable

new big 35 mm IOR wil be anice answer for ultr along range shooting with engrave reticule NP8 that allow to use small barr as auxillary sight ( same as mil dot ) but far more accuarte that big black dot , because with range increase dont forget to use a thin reticule to don't hide your target

Agrre with bounty hunter SN9 in variable option can be a good solution if your bank count is full and if USO quality and service follow the scope price .

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 09-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Man that is some long eye relief [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

cant answer your Q so figured id at least give it a bump [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

JB
Old 09-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

http://www.usoptics.com/sub_pages/sc...php?recordID=7

I have a SN-3 and I just cant say enough good things about it..sakofan... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]