Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Had my scope mounted but...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Had my scope mounted but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Feenix,

I see from your profile that you're livin' the dream out in God's country. Good on ya! Family ties and my job are keeping me here in Ventura. Nice town, but it happens to be in California.
Indeed I am! Hang in there, cheers!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Feenix,

Thanks for that link. That's funny, for all these years, 25+, I've been using the phrase chasing the bull, but not for exactly the same meaning. It was something yelled in my ear by a Gunnery Sergeant as he was trying to throw me off my game. I got his meaning then and it has always stuck with me.

Tomorrow I'm going up to the gun shop and asking the gunsmith about how he mounted my scope. This video makes something else clear to me. When I setup on my dining room table with the bipod, yeah it pisses my wife off, and look down the street, there are some flowers in a neighbor's yard that aren't clear. There is no way they shouldn't be. I swing the parallax knob all the way around without any help. With the same scope in Gander Mountain I can sharpen letters across the store. I'm concerned that the gunsmith has done something wrong.

Thanks for all the help. I guess I won't know until I go to a range. There is another gunsmith I'm going to check with as well. Just for peace of mind.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

when you deal with gunsmiths you have to be very specific on what you want. If you just said "mount this scope with these rings" thats all he's going to do. the majority of people that have a scope mounted on a rifle are not lapping, and properly aligning the scope. Most people dont know, it wont affect them and they probably dont care. So here is what Im trying to say:
1. Be EXACT with what you want the gunsmith to do
2. if there is a question on how the smith is going to complete one of these actions then have them explain it
3. Get a solid price quote for what you want
4. if its something specific give them a picture of what you want (like aligning the rings with the tool or technique your looking for)

when you get into trying to coordinate a full custom build then these things are very important. its just that if you walk into a normal smith and ask for a normal run of the mill service and your not specific then you will get the smith to do it as 95% of the hunters want it. fast easy and cheap

If you look at how much it is to mount and boresight a scope on many different gunsmiths websites you will find very different prices. its that most are not doing it the same.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
when you deal with gunsmiths you have to be very specific on what you want. If you just said "mount this scope with these rings" thats all he's going to do. the majority of people that have a scope mounted on a rifle are not lapping, and properly aligning the scope. Most people dont know, it wont affect them and they probably dont care. So here is what Im trying to say:
1. Be EXACT with what you want the gunsmith to do
2. if there is a question on how the smith is going to complete one of these actions then have them explain it
3. Get a solid price quote for what you want
4. if its something specific give them a picture of what you want (like aligning the rings with the tool or technique your looking for)

when you get into trying to coordinate a full custom build then these things are very important. its just that if you walk into a normal smith and ask for a normal run of the mill service and your not specific then you will get the smith to do it as 95% of the hunters want it. fast easy and cheap

If you look at how much it is to mount and boresight a scope on many different gunsmiths websites you will find very different prices. its that most are not doing it the same.

Good luck.
You're right, this was my first time doing this and I "ASSUMED" that every time a gunsmith mounted one they went through the whole process that I had researched. What even convinced me prior to that was when I was looking at scopes at this particular shop a clerk there told me their gunsmith did a first-rate job at mounting scopes.

One last thing I have to admit, this morning before I was got ready to ride over to the shop to ask the gunsmith about how he mounted my scope I took one more look. Things looked a bit better and then something dawned on me. My recent illness had some medications that I don't usually take. One was a steroid. I'm a diabetic and I think that has my vision a bit off. I"m going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until I have a friend look down range with my scope.

A couple of friends did find a gun club that has a 200 yd range close to our houses, so we're joining next week. I'll get to test it there for now. Can't wait until we finally get back to the NW! 2 more years...hopefully, I didn't want to be here beyond 2014.