Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Great Hillbilly Ballistic Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Great Hillbilly Ballistic Cards

These are both Burris 1.5-6x40 Illuminated Ballistic CQ Reticle which has pre-determined ballistic holdover points. We shot to find the exact value for each dot for each caliber/rifle by moving back and forth shooting of the roof of my pickup till we were on , used a rangefinder, then recorded the range. I went to Burris' website and printed out the reticle and wrote the ranges on there. I did not want to drive to town to laminate them so I covered both sides with Long Lasting packing tape and trimmed to fit the inside of my Butler Creek lens cap. We attached them with heavy duty doubled backed mounting tape. So with a rangefinder, you could be a longe range hunter. These were on a custom PTR-91 G.I. and a custom RPK. We hog hunt more than anything but just wanted to be able to shoot accurately at longer ranges if we needed to. It worked amazingly well.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Great Hillbilly Ballistic Cards-ballistic-cards.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Great Hillbilly Ballistic Cards

Cool. I don't use ballistic reticles, but this seems like a great idea.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

Re: Great Hillbilly Ballistic Cards

It was amazing once you wrote the ranges down, we could drive anywhere along where we were shooting from, stop, range and shoot in seconds. I wanted to find a better holdover system because I am not a scope cranker, it takes too long, you have to have good light and your bifocals, once you've shot a couple of times you never know exactly where you were on the dial and how you get back to where you should be. And unless you won a couple of lotteries, you can't afford to put NightForces on every rifle. And they are the only scopes I've found that are absolutely repeatable and hold up to a muzzle brake. The tables they print for the ballistic points are worthless because of all the variables, like your cartridge, bullet coefficient, velocity/barrel length, sight height above the bore,etc,,etc,, but if you do want we did you customize your reticle, kinda. And remember one of the rifles was a RPK, 7.62x39 is not a long range cartridge, but hit really well. We were shooting at a stump at the water's edge that was about the size of a 44 oz Big Gulp cup and we shredded it.The ballistic points worked for the RPK back to 500 yards instead of 600 yards, but they worked. There was a huge lake dam, a hill that was so thick with trees you could not walk thru it behind our target or I would have never shot at the edge of the water. With a spotter it did not take long to get the ranges for each point. It was free and easy and it worked. Happy Hunting, ken