Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Got my Zeiss HD5 5x25x50mm today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Got my Zeiss HD5 5x25x50mm today

I ordered mine should have it mid week. I agree that it is absurd that zeiss would put the 16 moa zero stop thing out on the market... why go through the RD only to come up with that when they new the public would balk at that.. but for me personally.. I don't really use the zero stop even on my NF or PST... Ill give a full report once i have it.. I am taking it with me next weekend to my range.. Ill take it out to 1000 and put it through the ringer...

Old 01-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Leupold did the same with the CDS dial. On my mark 4 I used a brass washer and small allen for a ZS that I can max scope out on.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

But you can take the "Zero Stop " out and use the entire range and then put it back in.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Yes but the point,then no ZS
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
WOW, I was on board till the 16.5 MOA when using the zero stop!! That effectively castrates what was looking like a great long range optic, can't even dial to a 1000 yards, dang!!!
You have a lathe. It's easy enough to build a aluminum bushing to go under the turret to limit the down travel. Even if it allows it to go past the zero it's fine provided it doesn't make it to the next zero.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
You have a lathe. It's easy enough to build a aluminum bushing to go under the turret to limit the down travel. Even if it allows it to go past the zero it's fine provided it doesn't make it to the next zero.
The problem with that is...the turret doesn't travel up and down externally. There is no visible movement of the turret in the upward direction for a full turn. I don't think it would make any difference due to the locking turret and how it functions. There are no graduation marks either just a simple white ring around the fixed portion that shows the turret is pulled up. When dialed up a full turn there is the same amount of space above the white line that there was at zero.

If someone does figure out how to not limit the up travel and retain the zero stop please post it. I suppose they were thinking about the cds when the designed it but a NF type zero stop would have been much better and probably doubled their sales.

Regardless, I really like the scope and I can get over 700 with my creedmoor and over 800 with my 6.5x284 so not a deal breaker for me but it would be nice to not have a limit.

gary

Last edited by 8andbait; 01-20-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Gold Member

I can't tell from the pictures but you might find a low head screw in place of the one they have so that it doesn't catch when it goes around one revolution. You might be able to do a stop internally too. It looks to be hollow when the knob is removed. I'm not sure if that is the case when it is installed though.