Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Got my Zeiss HD5 5x25x50mm today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Got my Zeiss HD5 5x25x50mm today

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
what amount of moa elevation does this optic have?
65 moa
Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, could you tell me how many MOA per turret revolution and does the windage turret count up in both directions from zero or is it laid out like the elevation turret?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Thanks, could you tell me how many MOA per turret revolution and does the windage turret count up in both directions from zero or is it laid out like the elevation turret?
18 MOA per turn but only 16.5 MOA with zero stop installed.

Windage goes from 0 to 8 MOA in both directions counting up from 0 very nice

my 3-15 is zeroed at 200 and I have 41 MOA of elevation to use although I can only use 16.5 of it with the zero stop.

Overall these are very nice scopes and so far the adjustments are very repeatable. I am going to give it a couple more months before I declare it my best "hunting" scope but I am thinking it will be very useful for long range big game hunting for me.

gary
Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post

Yes I have astigmatism along with being near sighted ! Is that part of the problem ?
Probably, yes. The diopter adjustment on the eyepiece can correct for myopia but not astigmatism. Because of astigmatism, resolution will be limited by your eye, rather than the scope.

I recommend you talk to an optometrist about getting new glasses set up for glassing and shooting. You should see a dramatic improvement in visual acuity with all your optics.

I inspected the Zeiss HD5 line at the SHOT Show. The optics are comparable to or better than the "old" Conquest line. Optical aberrations are small, glare is lower than average and contrast is moderately good. In particular, the 3-15x42 has high contrast at 15X. The 5-25x50 has lower, but still good, contrast at 25X, which is impressive. This scope should be very usable at 25X without a sunshade. That's good because sunshades are not available yet for the HD5 line.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

WOW, I was on board till the 16.5 MOA when using the zero stop!! That effectively castrates what was looking like a great long range optic, can't even dial to a 1000 yards, dang!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8andbait View Post

my 3-15 is zeroed at 200 and I have 41 MOA of elevation to use although I can only use 16.5 of it with the zero stop.
16.5 MOA should be good for at least 800 yds with most flat-shooting long range calibers (200 yd zero, 5,000 ft elevation).

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8andbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
16.5 MOA should be good for at least 800 yds with most flat-shooting long range calibers (200 yd zero, 5,000 ft elevation).
I wonder why Zeiss a company well established in the optics field known for quality products have their engineers design a zero stop that limits the elevation adjustment to 16.5 MOA. Mind boggling to me!!

You are right bruce_ventura. I can get to 800 yards with a 250 yard zero @ 4000' but that is not what I want. Zeiss really messed up. This nice compact scope with its short turrets would have been a cat's meow. Was all ready to order one till 8and bait clued me in. Back to the HS or PST.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein