Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Got my Zeiss HD5 5x25x50mm today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: Got my Zeiss HD5 5x25x50mm today

To disable the zero stop you will have to remove the verticle post with the slot screw in it. Or you could remove the horizontal post but the slot is very small and may strip out when trying to remove it.

I went to the range, took out the bolt and removed the turret and positioned the horizontal post at 90 degrees from the verticle post by lifting off the black ring and repositioning it. I then bore sighted the scope and took a shot at 50 yards, made my adjustment and proceeded to 200 yards. After zeroing at 200 I removed the cap and the black ring with the horizontal post on it. I replaced the black ring so it had both posts touching. Now I was zeroed at 200 yards and the zero stop would function as intended.

You need the black ring in order to adjust the elevation in the scope. Positioning the posts at 90 degrees from eachother should allow you enough movement to adjust the scope to your zero. Once achieved simply lift off the cap and black ring and place the posts so they touch each other. The horizontal post will need to be on the counter clockwise side of the verticle post so you can add elevation. If on the clockwise side of the verticle post you will only be able to dial down.

I am in PA

I hope this makes sense, Gary
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks ! I bet its really cold there ?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Dang it ! Side by side this Zeiss HD5 and my 12 year old Bushnell elite 4200 6x24x40mm and Weaver 3x15x50mm Tactical . Zeiss by a nod and only a nod. Also i'm 55 and wear glasses I'm near sighted. In fact i take my glasses off when shooting through a scope. I think I paid $400 buck for my elite way back in 2000 . Is this Zeiss $600 bucks better absolutely not but it is nice . Mechanically its very nice. Also the Weaver Tactical gives up very very little to the Zeiss.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

What distance?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Dang it ! Side by side this Zeiss HD5 and my 12 year old Bushnell elite 4200 6x24x40mm and Weaver 3x15x50mm Tactical . Zeiss by a nod and only a nod. Also i'm 55 and wear glasses I'm near sighted. In fact i take my glasses off when shooting through a scope. I think I paid $400 buck for my elite way back in 2000 . Is this Zeiss $600 bucks better absolutely not but it is nice . Mechanically its very nice. Also the Weaver Tactical gives up very very little to the Zeiss.
Unfortunately, that was my observation on the glass also. I put glass near the bottom of priorities but for the money it should be better.

gary
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have several 6-20 conquests and the glass is MUCH better than you guys are saying... I hate to hear this.. I was hoping the glass would be as good or better than prior models... Unfortunate to hear this.... How is resolution at 25x? I have had a PST in the past how would you compare it that? I really had high hopes for this scope... sad...
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

I looked through several of the new HD5 scopes at the SHOT Show this week. I own a few Conquests and also a Bushnell 4200.

I think that the glass is at least as good as my "regular" Conquests and the ones I compared it to right at the show, and a far sight better than my 4200 or any 4200 I've ever used. I would not judge it until you see it yourself.

Also the new version of the RapidZ reticle is far less "busy" and the target turrets are shorter. Overall I think it's a home run for this magnification range.