Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Got my VectronixPLRF05 Terrapin and compared my Swaro Lrf!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Got my VectronixPLRF05 Terrapin and compared my Swaro Lrf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveralan View Post
elmerdeer,

same experience here, missed an antelope dope at 850ish due to swaro hitting grass at around 813 in wyoming last week. My buddy and i simultaneously shot at two right next to each other, and both missed, in a near zero wind condition!
We practice extensively out past 1000 yards... and we were (as we should be) absolutely expecting to see both lopes hit the dirt. Only error we came up with was ranging.
While the swaro is a big step up from my previous rangefinder, i have lost a lot of confidence in it's "in the field" ability.

I'm having trouble findering any vendors with these in stock? wondering what the street price on one is.
Sorry to hear about the range issues but welcome to the club, kinda takes the wind right out of ya to not see them just get smoked!! Last years antelope sealed the deal that I will have a Vextronics but this PLFR05 would certainly happen sooner financially.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

I'm glad it worked out. I still want to see if I can get my hands on a "good crf1600". If I can't I'll be saving my pennies for one of these.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

Where did you get the PLRF 05 Terrapin?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Academy View Post
Where did you get the PLRF 05 Terrapin?
I got my unit from the Canadian distributor of Vectronix in Ontario, he told me that the U.S. distributors came back to the U.S. last week from Switzerland with a few units in hand, try Vectronix USA.
Elmer
Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Well I was out ranging today in on off rainy conditions, T-storms were moving in and out of my hunting spots. So I was driving around looking for deer to range that were farther than 500yards, found a few at 800yards and started to range them with my 2 rangefinders. As far as ranging goes the Terrapin is very good at what it does, I was ranging deer with ease at 800yards as long as I had a little support on my elbows(all ranging was done from my car seat).
I did not find any deer at 1000yards but from what I've seen from this unit it wont have a problem with that.
The Swaro held its own but that aiming circle is way to big compared to the
Terrapin and it takes longer to give the reading, also the flat ground gave me false readings a few times cause the beam was hitting things on its way there.
As far as how far the 2 units ranged the swaro because of the rainy conditions would not give me ranges on treelines that were more that 1700yards, usually I could and have gotten 1995yards on treelines at dusk.
The Terrapin gave a treeline reading at 3575yards consistently and it varied depending on where in the treeline I aimed at, also on homes over 2400yards NP, and on tops of pine trees 1950yards. I also ranged earth mounds that were dark in colour there was one in particular that was 989 yards away its size is about 3ft high and 3-4ft wide the Swaro could not pick that up no matter how many times I tried, the Terrapin was picking them up Np, it would aslo pick up the bigger earth mounds at much farther distances.
All in all I am very happy with the way this unit performs its quick, has good glass,and ranges further than I will probably ever need!
Elmer
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM

Is the unit called the Vectronix Terrapin? I couldn't find the PLRF05 numbers on it anywhere. Do they offer this unit in Yards as well as meters? Thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

A place to keep in mind... * Out of stock

VECTRONIX PLRF05 TERRAPIN RANGE FINDER COYOTE BROWN

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!