Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Got a Model 70 7mm WSM need a new scope. What's a good BDC scope for under $400?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Got a Model 70 7mm WSM need a new scope. What's a good BDC scope for under $400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortmagman View Post
I agree,when you look at SWFA click on the Sightron button and you will find a close out sale. You can buy a Sll 3.5x10x42 Big Sky for 199.95 after a $100 rebate. You will be hard pressed to buy a better scope for this money. I own a Big Sky in 3x9x42 and for the money it is outstanding. I payed almost $400 for my scope and I don't think I go ripped off.
That's a great suggestion ,buy that and the money left over can be used for getting you started on reloading . Because factory ammo is incredibly expensive. I have that same caliber rifle and with reloads I can shoot water filled tin cans all I want.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Got a Model 70 7mm WSM need a new scope. What's a good BDC scope for under $400?

For just sight in work and Paper the 16x Sightron would be hard to beat! I'm a big fan of fixed power scopes and Sightrons will track with the best of them. I just put a Millet for what I thought was a reasonable price but could not get it to settle down enough to hit paper @ 100 yards,Put an IOR on the 7Mag and now its a one holer
Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
For just sight in work and Paper the 16x Sightron would be hard to beat! I'm a big fan of fixed power scopes and Sightrons will track with the best of them. I just put a Millet for what I thought was a reasonable price but could not get it to settle down enough to hit paper @ 100 yards,Put an IOR on the 7Mag and now its a one holer
Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Well that's a fine scope for paper but when he goes deer hunting,he won't be able to find the deer in that 16x scope ?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

All but three of my scopes are fixed 12x or larger so i sometimes forget that its a problem for others...specialy beginners. Open range makes the fixed power scopes viable but they are a poor choice for dense woodlots or rivine diveing.
If he was looking to put a 50x scope on that thing your right I should have put a bigger disclaimer on it .
One of the 3-9s or 2-10 would be better. I personaly bought the last two 3-9MD they had
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM

is this one worth dropping the money on? Like i said id like something with a BDC recticle. Hate to be pig headed, im new to sizing and what not. I dont know what dad's scope on his 7mm rem mag is, but it can be hard to find a moving target, but ive got it done.
Nikon 3-9x50 ProStaff Riflescope
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

I don't much care for BDC reticules . Why because the muzzle velocity of yours are any gun aren't constant . Also if one day your shooting a 120 gr bullet and sight in for that and then next day you shoot a 150 gr bullet you'll have to sight it in again. Weather conditions also effect ammo performance. A flat shooting rifle cartridge like yours can be sighted in at 200 yds and bullet impact will be in the kill zone with out hold over pass 350 yds. That particular scope is only a 9X scope you wouldn't be able to see bullet holes in your target at 100yds. I'll log on to that site and suggest a scope for you. But Short Magnum suggested a Sigtron Big Sky that is an option.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Weaver 4-16x42 Buck Commander Rifle Scope I don't know if I did this right but this would be a great starter scope plus it has similar type reticle a Nikon BDC has. Plus a great price. You'll need the 16x power to see bullet holes and you easily have a 500+yard rifle so extra magnifacation is needed .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997 Lariat 7mm WSM View Post
is this one worth dropping the money on? Like i said id like something with a BDC recticle. Hate to be pig headed, im new to sizing and what not. I dont know what dad's scope on his 7mm rem mag is, but it can be hard to find a moving target, but ive got it done.
Nikon 3-9x50 ProStaff Riflescope