Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Good Scope Mounting Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Good Scope Mounting Tools

I developed a similar tool that is sold by HighPowerOptics. The Reticle Alignment Tool performs the same function as the EXD tool, and it includes a very accurate spirit level for leveling the scope turret axis. Plus it sells for a lot less ($26).
Reticle Alignment Tool
Attached Images

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Make sure to get a Wheeler FAT Wrench. Also, get T10 and T15 Xcelite drivers. They will come in very handy.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

Cool tool but again not precise enough for ultra long range. The rifle is only level when the bolt raceways are are level and I mean less than .01 MOA off. Essentially zero cant. Once this is proven then the the vertical crosshair must be aligned with gravity only. This is best done with a plumb line at least 70' from the bore end. Otherwise shooters end up putting in all kinds of unnecessary windage and elevation at long range.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner69 View Post
Cool tool but again not precise enough for ultra long range. The rifle is only level when the bolt raceways are level and I mean less than .01 MOA off. Essentially zero cant. Once this is proven then the the vertical crosshair must be aligned with gravity only. This is best done with a plumb line at least 70' from the bore end. Otherwise shooters end up putting in all kinds of unnecessary windage and elevation at long range.
If a scope is mounted directly above the bore gravitational wise, is mounted parallel to the bore left-right wise, the vertical scope reticle is then rotated to run parallel with a plum bob at 50 yards distance, and I then mark an anti-cant level to ensure the rifle is held in this same position when firing in the field - a position such that the vertical reticle is in alignment with the earth's gravitational vector/force - then I don't care which direction the bolt raceways are positioned. I submit that they could be rotated 1 or 90 degrees from level. That would only mean that the bolt handle would interfere with the scope, or the stock. The position of the bolt raceways would be immaterial, and have no affect on the left to right, or right to left, cant-caused drift of the bullet whatsoever.

Any engineers or physicists on this Forum that see a flaw in this position, please correct this and explain the error in it, for my benefit.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
If a scope is mounted directly above the bore gravitational wise, is mounted parallel to the bore left-right wise, the vertical scope reticle is then rotated to run parallel with a plum bob at 50 yards distance, and I then mark an anti-cant level to ensure the rifle is held in this same position when firing in the field - a position such that the vertical reticle is in alignment with the earth's gravitational vector/force - then I don't care which direction the bolt raceways are positioned. I submit that they could be rotated 1 or 90 degrees from level. That would only mean that the bolt handle would interfere with the scope, or the stock. The position of the bolt raceways would be immaterial, and have no affect on the left to right, or right to left, cant-caused drift of the bullet whatsoever.

Any engineers or physicists on this Forum that see a flaw in this position, please correct this and explain the error in it, for my benefit.
If all you want to do is confirm vertical crosshair than the plumb line confirms this perfectly and can be done no matter how canted the rifle is below it. But what long range shooters want is this crosshair alignment with gravity and the rifle to be equally aligned on opposing planes. This way when a shooter acquires a target, cant errors cannot be attributed to the rifle ie action cant or scope cant - either cause the same issues when trying to take a level shot at a target. Errors of rifle/scope cant then are identifiable to the shooter vs. the rig and can be corrected and are easily identifiable. But yes anyone could theoretically align vertical crosshairs on the target level while having a rifle below 90 degrees twisted. It would be hard as hell but possible.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Bronze Member

Don't get me wrong though - yours is a nice tool worth the money and there are other ones that work reasonably well to a point. For ultra long range shooting which is what this forum is primarily dedicated to, a more precise method is required. One could be level with the rifle in the field only to have then introduced the opposite scope cant to the equation. Seems strange to invest $1-$3000 on a scope and another $3-$5000 on a custom rifle and precision rings/bases etc. only to have a undetectable 2-10 MOA rifle scope missalignment causing you grief. Many guys never detect these issues and spend lots of time and money burning up barrels because they attribute long range issues to load development issues etc. Load developement is critical of course but many times shooters chase other problems like those mention in this discussion with load development etc.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post

Perfectly said and all the boxes checked

1. Scope centerline and bore centerline aligned vertically
2. Reticle adjusted to distant horizontal or vertical object
3. Anti-cant device installed to duplicate at bench or in field

gunner, first you say "don't bother with that tool" and now you say "your's is a nice tool worth the money". Have you finally begun to understand how the tool is used?

And you have YET to explain or describe YOUR method, only redefine the problem several times (which we all have known from the beginning)

So please explain to us "a more precise method is required". And we all also know about the field method of cranking elevation and looking for vertical POI's, but we are talking about a method for MOUNTING a scope