Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Getting a reticle level is nearly impossible .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Getting a reticle level is nearly impossible .

Maybe I'm missing something.....

I get a level for the rail and bag the gun in tight. I get a grid target and level it. Very few target stands are level nor are most benches.

I level the receiver and then make sure the retical is level with the target. Tighten it down and go.

You either assume the receiver is square or you don't. If you don't you need to resolve that before you address anything else.

I say this because many people are fine with moa groups on a skewed rail.....so it doesn't matter.........but if you want bugholes then you need to chase things in the right order.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Maybe I'm missing something.....

I get a level for the rail and bag the gun in tight. I get a grid target and level it. Very few target stands are level nor are most benches.

I level the receiver and then make sure the retical is level with the target. Tighten it down and go.

You either assume the receiver is square or you don't. If you don't you need to resolve that before you address anything else.

I say this because many people are fine with moa groups on a skewed rail.....so it doesn't matter.........but if you want bugholes then you need to chase things in the right order.
I've never had the problem with the mount being off center, but I do always check that the vertical crosshair of the scope is aligned with the bore. It never hurts to double check. And I'm really anal about my scope alignment. I do the plumb level I described earlier to check elevation adjustments are truly vertical, not just on a grid target. Then I shoot the square (adjust elevation, windage set number of mils on grid target, ensure adjustments are exactly on specification. If not, programs such as Applied Ballistics or Shooter allow for scope error.)

You truly owe it to the prey, as well as your piece of mind, to ensure complete accuracy of your equipment. Now all you have to worry about it yourself.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Lycan;685208]Maybe I'm missing something.....

QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct. Here is a good method. Set your scoped rifle in a cleaning stand at the range on top of a level bench. Find a bubble square (one that has a bubble level at one end of the handle). Keep the straight edge absolutely straight vertically from the recoil pad toe up to the center of the recoil pad. Move rifle until bubble shows it is level. Keep it tightly stationery there while you adjust the scope (keep scope loose in rings). Put another bubble level on scope cap, rotate scope until that one is level. Now, your scope is aligned with the bore. Tighten scope rings and proceed as stated above.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

guys...

I make the Segway Reticle Leveler. Its cheap and it works. You can buy it here. If you google the name Segway Reticle Leveler you will find many reviews comments about it. I know you will fiind it useful.

J