Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Getting a reticle level is nearly impossible .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Getting a reticle level is nearly impossible .

I used a plumb line (just a heavy weight on a string) at about 50 yards in my backyard to align the reticle vertical line. I also leveled the bubble level I have on the scope to coordinate. I checked my scopes elevation movement with the same setup to check it was moving along the line. Worked like a charm.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFtinkerer View Post
I used a plumb line (just a heavy weight on a string) at about 50 yards in my backyard to align the reticle vertical line. I also leveled the bubble level I have on the scope to coordinate. I checked my scopes elevation movement with the same setup to check it was moving along the line. Worked like a charm.

This sounds like it would be a pretty descent idea. Might have to try that next time I mount a scope
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFtinkerer View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you did it on the first try you should have went and bought a lottery ticket.

J.E. Custom -you're right it's the small fine tuning things that amount to a big hit in the field.
When everything is on and you know it -it's very confidence inspiring .
I'm doing all my handloading work and tuning for that one shot -cold barrel shots are the only way to tune in my opinion [for LRH] .If i can maintain a load that shoots right on the verticle line from a cold barrel -i smile a lot more.Keeping several rifles in tune is overwhelming sometimes.
Thanks Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

I have ended up using a system that appears to work well after years of similar frustration. After I do the conventional Wheeler type levels on the rails, scope etc. As to tightening the rings, and keep everything aligned, sometimes i get it the first time, other times i have to adjust several times. When i get everything aligned, I then attach my Holland scope level to my scope, and line that up. When all set, I use a collimator and line up the vertical crosshair with the vertical line in the collimator. I elevate my scope 20 MOA and check to see if the vertical scope crosshair is exactly on line with the collimator's vertical line. I also check my scope's turret repeatability in the process. So far, all my set-ups were right on when I did actual testing of my impact points in the field.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol mike View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you did it on the first try you should have went and bought a lottery ticket.

J.E. Custom -you're right it's the small fine tuning things that amount to a big hit in the field.
When everything is on and you know it -it's very confidence inspiring .
I'm doing all my handloading work and tuning for that one shot -cold barrel shots are the only way to tune in my opinion [for LRH] .If i can maintain a load that shoots right on the verticle line from a cold barrel -i smile a lot more.Keeping several rifles in tune is overwhelming sometimes.
Thanks Mike
Sahweet! I'm buying my lottery ticket now! No more working for me, just shooting full custom rifles on a 300 acre ranch!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM

lots of great tips here

Ol Mike I completely relate, it does seem nearly impossible and I'm sure I've lost some hair freakin out at the aggrevating job. I did laugh a bit reading this cause I know the feeling.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Brownells sells a good tool for this purpose:

EXD ENGINEERING VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT - Brownells

But first, you need to tie a plumb bob with string at 50 yds, and make sure your rifle is level. Best way I found to do this is glue a small square bubble level to a popsickle stick (eat the ice cream first) and lay that across the action port, if it is flat.