Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

G7 range finder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

G7 range finder

I'm curious how this range finder is working out for the guys that have one . I thought there would be some talk about them after the group buy , but it's been quiet . please let us know , pros , cons , whatever . thanks Jim
Old 06-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: G7 range finder

Jim, I just got one in here to test out. However work is slowing down the testing. As soon as I get the 45 page manual read and a bullet profile loaded in it, I will be off to test it using my PLRF10 along side. I did range my favorite rock off hand from my yard and it hit it correctly at 905 yards. Just before dark in evening light I ranged a rock bluff at 2559 yds. but I didnt confirm this with the PLRF10 yet. One of my first impressios was the display was hard to see. But reading the manual I found 4 intensity setting for display brightness. This made the display more visable and is a nice option. Also there is 3 or 4..(cant remember) differen reticles to choose from. However I don't see that much of an advantage to one from another. First opinion is they are all to big and thick, but I need to test this more.

I will start a thread as soon as I get more actual field time and I will be testing it with my 300 win to see how it does for cold bore first round hits.

More later

Jeff
Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

Jeff , thanks for the reply . your tests will be exactly the information I'm looking for . also seeing how it stacks up against the PLRF10 will be very interesting .

you other guys , please chime in . it's always nice to hear from more than one user . thanks Jim
Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Shawn already did a pretty in depth review and used his PLRF10 to validate. You may want to search that one up if you haven't read it. I doubt I will find anything he didn't cover but I will post what I see.

Jeff
Old 06-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

Jeff , I did read Shawns' review . it sounds like the G7 would be a good LRF for me . I also like the idea of an all in one unit , easier to carry .
after reading about other makers range finders having good ones and not so good ones , in their distance ability . I was wondering about the G7's , are they all fairly equal , or is there good ones and not so good ones ? Jim
Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
Jeff I was wondering about the G7's , are they all fairly equal , or is there good ones and not so good ones ? Jim
Good point Jim. I have sure seen it every other RF except the Vectronix units so far. Would be good to hear from others about the G7. I did test 5 PLRF10's all at once, side by side on same targets and same conditions. They were all equal.

Jeff
Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

that's good to know the vectronix LRF's are equal . I expected this, but you never know . you having 5 of them side by side kind of proves it .
I hope the guys have tested their G7's over the past couple months , and have some good info to share with us . Jim