Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

G7 BR2 Rangefinder Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: G7 BR2 Rangefinder Feedback

Greyfox, I want to add I didn't have a problem getting a reading from the G7. It gave me a number until I got out there past where I would use it. The problem was what it was actually ranging and what I wanted it to range.

Also may I ask what Leica you were using? Was it the older discontinued flat 1200 or one of the newer 1200 or 1600 CRF's?

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff and Art, thanks for some great input!

Jeff, I went back and re-read your writeup and see that you did aim a little high to get above the clutter and range a target. But you also had another RF to confirm the correct distance.

Seems to be some inconsistency in the results with Art being able to range and shoot a coyote @ 1000+ yds and Jeff's testing. Not sure what's going on there as Jeff did test the various modes?

Right now I have a Leica 1200 and 1600 and getting very mediocre results with them. Maybe not holding steady enough?

I greatly like the MOA solution ability of the G7 in one unit. As for wind, I don't see myself shooting to 1000 yds at game in winds much higher than 5 mph, at least not til I get a lot more experienced. Printing up some wind correction charts for a couple of wind speeds and anticipated hunting elevations is an acceptable solution for me with the wind meter Art mentioned.

So I guess at this point I am leaning to getting a G7 and giving it a go. I sure hope that with practice I can consistently range goats and deer on the sage plains with the G7.

Jeff, if you're ever out testing your unit again this winter, I would love to swing up and check it out and bring my Leica's as well to maybe compare with your Leica.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Greyfox, I want to add I didn't have a problem getting a reading from the G7. It gave me a number until I got out there past where I would use it. The problem was what it was actually ranging and what I wanted it to range.

Also may I ask what Leica you were using? Was it the older discontinued flat 1200 or one of the newer 1200 or 1600 CRF's?

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff, I was using the Lieca Geovids. My buddy was with me for a few days with his Leica1600 which performed qute similarly to my Geovids. I think I wasn't very clear on how I was using my G7 and how I was able to get good readings on the 1000+ yards coyote and other animals that were difficult targets. To get a good range when a hill or brushwas interfering, whether in the foreground or background I would toggle between "both" the near and far modes and be able to distingquish whether I was ranging the interference or the animal. Even if the sage was interfering a few yards in front of the animal I could determine this difference with two separate readings and determine the correct range on my target. The near and far modes do not mean that you use the mode at short range or long range, but whether your interference is in the foreground or background, regardless of range. I didnt realize this at first. It took some practice, but after a couple of days I could use this capability very effectively to get accurate ranges on difficult targets. If I could get a view of the animal that was good enough to take a shot, I could get a range. This was the circumstance that neither Leica model would get a reading at all but the G7 would range each, the animal and the interference using near/far. It's certainly not as efficient as using the narrow beam and ranging directly on the animal with the Vectronix but it works. The beam of the G7 is sufficient to range whitetail does in the open at 1300-1350 yards. It does require a rest and placing the animal in the center of the circle. When I was able to get a reading on my Geovids they were within a few yards of the G7's. This range is at the extreme limit of the Geovids capability. I limit my shots to around 1000 yards so this is academic for me. Art

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
To get a good range when a hill or brushwas interfering, whether in the foreground or background I would toggle between "both" the near and far modes and be able to distingquish whether I was ranging the interference or the animal. Even if the sage was interfering a few yards in front of the animal I could determine this difference with two separate readings and determine the correct range on my target.

Hmmmm, if that is what it takes to determine an accurate distance I will pass and gladly use a small beamed rangefinder and my ballistics app. Plus I still do not feel you can be sure you were indeed ranging the animal. Unless like you did while testing and confirmed it with the smaller beamed Leica. I don't see now how some feel all that is faster.

Thanks for clarifying this.
I may do more testing with the G7 just to see for myself. But I am not sure anything will be different from my first field testing.

Thank You!!
Jeff
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

The whole near/far thing has been in range finders for years, nothing new. All my Bushnell range finders had it and I got handy at switching between modes to determine if the game was near or far, really sucked!!!
I really kinda want the G7 but have been holding back for the Vectronix cause I know I can't just stop shooting at 1400 yards so the G7 would actually make me pack twice as much crap to cover the ranges I would shoot.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

In the end I think discussing rangefinders is becoming a lot like discussing caliber choice. Experiences, hunting style, and success shapes ones opinion. After years of using the conventional approaches, and multiple devices, with a good degree of long range success, i find that after a full season and several good long range kills, some in pretty tight spots, the G7 is a definite keeper for me.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt