Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

g7 br2 range finder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

g7 br2 range finder

Has any one had any problems with there G7 being off on temperature. Mine will take up to 40 minutes to drop from 61(temp in house) to 40(temp outside). It will also be off 5(manual says+/- 2). I verified with my Kestral. Am I just being too picky. For the price I want to be dame sure it is working properly. Also the alt changes from 61 to -15,during the course of the day. Even though the barametric pressure remains at 29.9 . To there credit Gunwerks said to send it back to get checked out. I don't want to waste there time if the range finder is working properly
Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 PM
PUBLISHER

Why would it matter if it took 40 minutes for the temp drop to occur?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: g7 br2 range finder

Why is it taking so long to read the proper temperature,and why is the temp reading off 5 is my question.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 PM
SPONSOR

The temp sensor is recessed in the front of the device near the battery compartment. The temperature of the device housing will effect the measured temperature. We are usually pretty careful not to let our body heat warm it in cold weather, or let the sun warm it up anytime.

I usually expect it to sample within 10 deg of actual. Considering the temperature could easily stratify that much across a canyon, I think its worthwhile to calculate how much that would effect your POI solution.

When I calculate the solution on the Gseven ballistic program, I get a 1" POI change for that error. Its not big enough to matter. Its important to keep perspective on small values, and to really pay attention to the things that do. The same thing goes for pressure and humidity.

As an exercise, calc the POI difference from 0 and 100 percent humidity....
Old 05-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Aaron. I appreciate your response. The temp difference was noticed when I first received the rangefinder. I was under the impression that the calibration may have been off.