Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Front Focal Plane or Back Focal Plane Scope Reticle???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 03:51 PM

Front Focal Plane or Back Focal Plane Scope Reticle???

Guys - I'm new to this forum and am looking to purchase a 6X to 24X x 50MM scope this year (Vortex Viper PST - MOA reticle a heavy favorite already???) for my SAKO 270 WSM. Looking at longer range shooting on paper and hunting. Big question is FFP or BFP. I understand the differences and am seriously leaning towards FFP. My thinking is that after a good amount of range work I can hunt with the confidence that once an animal is ranged I can use either the elevation and windage turrets or the reticle graduations at any power of magnification. Hoping to gain some first hand knowledge from someone who's done both and has first hand experience on this matter. Thanx for your input in advance.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Front Focal Plane or Back Focal Plane Scope Reticle???

Can't help you on the FFP/SFP debate, as I only have SFP scopes. As far as Vortex PST there are scheduled for this coming month debut.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Bronze Member

Might try the guys at www.opticstalk.com if no response here. I'd go with FFP.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

If at all possible, the FFP is the way to go. The constant/consistent calibration of the reticle takes a time consuming variables (counting clicks) out of the process when time is short.

Even at 4.5 power it is possible to make a confident shot at a distance longer than one would guess with out having previously done it.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM

Guys - I am new to this site and as such didn't know this topic had already been discussed at length. After I posted this thread I was notified by the forum of similar posts. I finally got time to read through them all and there were some really excellent examples of FFP vs BFP scope benefits. I am sold on FFP and will be ordering my 6x24 50MM Viper PST MOA FFP scope this week. Supposed to be on the shelves here in British Columbia July 1rst.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

i think the first focal plane reticle is over rated. the ONLY advantage it has is the ability to range set on any power. first off, this is a rare thing. 99% of the time, you have enough time to use a range finder. this would be for shots that are far enough to need one. mind you a second focal plane works at one setting, usually the highest magnification power. how long does it take to turn the power to the highest setting. in my experience, not very long.
the drawbacks to a FFP are when you're gonna take that shot in low light, usually fairly close situations. the power is turned down. this is a scenario when you need a bold crosshair, but you don't have that with a FFP. it's at it's smallest. of course the opposite is true when taking that long shot. now you want a small crosshair. but not with a FFP. on the highest power is when it's at it's thickest. again, not a good scenario. a FFP scope has one very small advantage and a couple strong disadvantages. for me, a hunting gun, especially a long range hunting gun, is much better served with a SFP scope.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 PM

Dave:

I understand what you are saying but I still see some significant (in my mind) features in FFP.
I would normally laser range any game at longer distances.
With MOA turrets and MOA reticle I can decide which to use at any power in the field, depending on the circumstances.
At the range I would probably favor turret adjustment.
In the field I could find the reticle is faster and as effective.

Just my thoughts here.

Also the scope has an iluminated reticle for low light.

RBH