Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Found out who makes Cabelas scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Found out who makes Cabelas scopes

Its not hard to get one of the chinese companies to make you a scope. Its probably not made by any major brand
Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 PM

The Euro series is made by Meopta.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM

I have a pine ridge and if you look under the eyepiece you will see country of manufacture and model number in "very" subdued lettering. Easy to miss. Have it mounted on a 22 and holds zero so no complaints for the cost.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

If a good solid scope is wanted without spending much money the Sightron S I series is hard to beat for that price scope. It won't compare to the spendier stuff but they hold zero even on hard kickers.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat740 View Post
I bought one of Cabela's high end scopes several years ago, the clerk told me that "he couldn't say,,,but it was made by Leupold". This scope was suppose to have a lifetime warrant etc etc. Well when it wouldn't hold zero I took it back and was given 1/2 of what I paid for it in store credit. The clerk this time advised me from every buying thier store branded stuff, as they change models every year and won't warranty them.
Wow, customer service no-nos x 2. First, they didn't replace the scope that supposedly had a lifetime warranty, second an employee actually advised a customer not to buy their stuff.

One might imagine that an outlet like Cabellas is not dependent solely on optics for their livelihood compared to companies that live mostly on optics like Nikon, Vortex, Bushnell, Zeiss, Nightforce, etc., and who must stake their reputation on on quality and consistency over time, the latter will be a better bet. I'm certain optics companies put a higher spec on manufacturing tolerances and QC than "clothing & everything" else companies.

I've long been interested in how the Nikko Stirling scopes sold with the Howa rifles perform. You can get a Howa in 308 WITH a scope for the price of a Nikon Monarch or Vortex PST. So are the Nikons, Vortex, etc., just ripping us off or can you really make a high quality scope for $50 mfg cost that will rival those?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootin4fun View Post
I've long been interested in how the Nikko Stirling scopes sold with the Howa rifles perform. You can get a Howa in 308 WITH a scope for the price of a Nikon Monarch or Vortex PST. So are the Nikons, Vortex, etc., just ripping us off or can you really make a high quality scope for $50 mfg cost that will rival those?
Okay in answer to my own question, after reading many other forums the overwhelming consensus by Nikko Stirling owners is that they are junk. Its really not surprising considering only their price point. Sometimes a company's marketing can create enough panache to be able to charge more than a competitor for the same thing, but not much more.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Gold Member

Does anyone have an idea of the parts count in a modern variable scope with a side focus ?

It just seems there would be a LOT or parts with a LOT of critical interfaces and tight tolerances if it is to keep working reliably. 2 turret mechanisms + the parallax adjustment. And a prism so you see things the right way up.

In my view of the world, anytime you try to get so many parts for <$400 there is simply no way the tolerances are going to be where you need them to be for long term reliable operation. Where the trouble will start is anyones guess.