Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Focal plain which is best ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Focal plain which is best ?

What are the good and bad of second plain focal reticals? why do most scopes not say which focal plain they are on the box ? How can you check this in the store before purchasing ?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Focal plain which is best ?

Oh Crap, here we go again but I will get my vote in first.

Since this IS Long Range Hunting forum! I like second focal plane scopes. The reason is the reticle I have choosen stays small as you crank up the power and the target increases in size. This allows a more precise point of aim on any target. This is most useful at distances beyond 700 yards where a laser rangefinder is more accurate than ranging with a reticle by far. However if you feel you do not wish to use a laser RF and do intend to range with your reticle then a First focal plane scope could be desirable to you. This is because the reticles will remain calibrated to what ever method of measure ( moa or mils) at any power that is selected. The SFP reticles are only calibrated on one given power for ranging. So really, it depends on what your field practices are for ranging, reticle, or laser.

When you are looking to see what the scope is you will need to look at the spec sheet.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Gold Member

SFP is the most useful for me. My problem with FFP is that useful magnification is eliminated because the reticle is either to thick on the high end or too thin on the low end due to the reticle maintaining subtension throughout the power range. The newer scopes are better at resolving this issue, but for me, it's still an issue. I had a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP and it was a great scope, but I was most comfortable at around 18 power because that is where I felt the reticle didn't obstruct small targets. My SFP scopes allow me to run at max power for the same size targets.

FFP is nice for the guy who desires a more functional reticle though.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

yeah we havn't had a focal plain debate for at least a week now...i'll take SFP.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

FFP for me. I like a mil system and dials are same as holds. My TRM reticule has a small hollow area at center, a 1 1/2 '' sticky dot just centers @ 400yrds.I really like it
Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, I did not mean to create a ford chevy thing. I am new to this and apreciate your helpfulness. I was brought with the understanding that the only stupid question is the one not asked. If you dont knbow you never will unless you ask. Thanks again
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Straight Skinny! End of discussion...

FFP for certain!!! I have 'em both. My favorite usually ends up being the scope on the rifle that I happen to be behind at the moment.

How's that for a strong definite answer.