Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Fixed powers for Long Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 AM

Fixed powers for Long Range

Looking for opinions on fixed power scopes for shooting at 600 - 800 yards. Used to be 20x scopes out there that I think would be perfect for me, but now I only see 35x and up. If I want to use the scope for ranging - as in this is not on a static target line, then I like the idea of a fixed 20. Ideas? Opinions? I really really do NOT want to have a variable on this rifle. For those asking, it is for a light 6mmBR crow gun currently successful out to 700 yards.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: Fixed powers for Long Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorst View Post
Looking for opinions on fixed power scopes for shooting at 600 - 800 yards. Used to be 20x scopes out there that I think would be perfect for me, but now I only see 35x and up. If I want to use the scope for ranging - as in this is not on a static target line, then I like the idea of a fixed 20. Ideas? Opinions? I really really do NOT want to have a variable on this rifle. For those asking, it is for a light 6mmBR crow gun currently successful out to 700 yards.
Thanks
Why do do so many people think that shooting at longer distances needs large scopes with higher magnification? Drop increases faster than the square of the distance so vertical dispersion does too. WInd deflection goes up more than linearly with distance. Image bluring from atmospheric scintillation goes up more than linearly with distance and that is not helped by higher magnification and hurt by larger objective lenses. I agree that 20x is plenty at 800 yards. It's plenty at a mile and beyond too. More magnification is only helpful if you're eyesight has less than normal resolution. Too much power severely hurts target acquisition time and that's bad for hunting. I consider the 36x and up scopes as strictly for benchrest targe shooiting.

You didn't say what you want to spend.

Arguably the "best" scope made which meets your specs is the US Optics ST-22. It's 22 power with a 44 mm objective. Only $1580 (compare it to some other US Optics scopes) Many reticle options are available They also make the 17x44 ST-17. Same but lower power and costs more.
http://www.usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=ST-2200

I use (and really like) the Leupold 16x40 Mk 4 M1 for long range shooting. (anything over 500 yards) I't's available with mil-dot, target dot, and duplex reticles. Sometimes on sale for around $1100. It has 140 moa elevation adjustment range.

SWFA used to sell a 20x40 model of their "Super Sniper" Mil dot. It was decent quality and around $400. Apparently SWFA has discontinued it. You might find a used one.

Leupold used to make a 24x40 benchrest socpe, They may still make the 25x40 FX-3 "silhouette" scope. I don't know much about it, Neither has much elevation and windage adjustment.

I don' know of much else between 16 and 36 power. Apparently fixed scopes haven't sold well.
4x, 6x and 10x are still plentiful as are 36x.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

While I dont disagree with Lou Boyd and his" vertical despersion", and "Scintillation linearly" theroy's. The big thing is MIRAGE !!!!!!!

At 100-200yds where BR shooters use 36x on up (fixed power), the mirage is somewhat manageable, take that same scope and try and shoot a crow at 700 yards with a full boil mirage and you might not even recognize a crow.
If you really want a fixed power get it in a fairly low power to avoid the mirage but a variable is much more versatile.
UB
Old 01-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

And with a high powered variable, you can dial appropriately to use the mirage to help you judge wind but not be stuck with it so high you can't see the target. Neither fixed or low power scopes can do that.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:20 PM

First question... cost.
That really depends on the scope. Since I live in Canada, some scopes are not available, such as SWFA items.

U.S. Optics are sometimes obtainable up here, but usually at approximately 140-200% above listed u.s. prices. (no thanks) Add to that, unlike some people, I think it is easier to range with a 20x as opposed to 16x, 17x or 22x. Where do they come up with these oddball magnifications anyways?

I am using a variable now. IOR Valada 2.5-10x. It sits on 10x all the time, and for crows - my target
of choice, I would like more magnification. If I were to stay with a variable, it would be a S&B and I simply cannot afford a PMII. I like the glass, but the extra weight and complications of a variable are just not needed on this rifle. IOR's are no longer available in Canada at any price.

As a possible silly question, does anyone still make a 'Doubler'? Then I could use a high quality 10x and have it modified.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:55 AM

I also have delt with this question about four years ago. I started off with a 10X super sniper. It performed quit well out to 800 yards, with descent picture quality, and good repeatablity. I thought I needed more power in my scope, so I purchesed a 20X super sniper. Once again it had good repeatability, but I found that mirage and clearity suffered.
This past summer I bit the bullet and purchased a Nightforce 5.5X22 NP-R1, and I am never looking back.

Is the Super Sniper a good fixed Power scope. YES!

Is 20X necessary? Not unless engaging targets beyond 1000 yards

---- Also have a 10X Leopold Target scope on a 220 Swift, and I think it is a perfect match.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 AM

I also like nightforce, but since their prices rival S&B up here a lot of the times..... Also, up until quite recently, they did not make a front focal plane reticle. This is important to me for ranging purposes. I like to be able to range at any magnification setting, not just one. A lot of you probably use laser rangefinders, but I do not as yet have one of those devices. Even if I did, having a different look for every shot is not my idea of an ideal scope. If I am going to spend that kind of money, then I want ..... well, what I want. Let's face it guys, a variable is a much bigger, heavier and more complicated device. I like simple - as much as I can get away with. As for only needing 20x on targets out past 1000 yards, my eyes respectfully disagree. So far, the one item I really do agree with is the issue of mirage. I simply will have to deal with it, although where I shoot crows, and when in the day, it has not been much issue so far.
Thanks for all the replies.
Take care.