Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Fixed power scope for LR hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fixed power scope for LR hunting?

I use a bunch of 12x Leupolds, 2 16x IORs and a Sightron 20x.
Most of the 12x are used for shooting prairie dogs inside of 350 yards. They have enough field of view and the sight picture is the same in all of them. This makes it a lot easier when switching between 4 different guns.
The 2 16x IORs have been bounced around for years and have not found a home yet. They are clear scopes that track well, have 100 moa of travel and have a very big field of view but for some reason just have not fit the bill on any one gun.
The 20x Sightron has 150 MOA of travel and very repeatable clicks but have noticed it lacks light gathering at dusk and dawn.
I like fixed power scopes for thier larger field if view(compaired to a variable), the consistant sight picture, cheaper price, clearer glass for the $$ and they will usually have more travel.
Most of my scopes stay at one(usually max) power so a fixed is not a problem for a dedicated rifle anyway

sportmuaythai
If your not going to carry this rifle a fixed may very well help you consistantly get to 700 yards and I'll bet it works closer than you think with use. 10x will get you to 700 yards with a good quality scope but 12-16 would be better if your shooting at small targets.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Thanks MachV, Michael Eichele and royinidaho for kind detailed comments. To be truthful, I've 3x12 56 Swarovski on two of my rifles. One big flaw I find with variable is that frequently I use the highest mag to study things, and leave it there, only to find real target popping up closer and moving. I'll be using laser range finder. I'm glad to hear that Sightron tracks very well. It's one of my considerations, particularly for its huge elevation adjustment range, which may allow for 0 moa scope base. I always hunt guided. This would be a learning scope for LR. If it doesn't work well, I'd change it before I actually hunt LR. What do you guys think?
The way I've hunted was to get to a high point, and glass. Once a good trophy is located, the guide and I put up a stalk. The way I figure, for LR, once the quarry is spotted, at most it would be is to get into a better shooting spot. BTW the furthest stalk I had was a brown about 4 miles, in Alaska Peninsular. My guide had exceptional sight.
Oh! I checked my original post, and realize my error. I don't mean using mil dot for ranging, but for reference aiming point, if I don't want to dial up, once the distance is lasered
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

If you're considering the sightron you should jump on the 16x SIII that SWFA has for 399 right now.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the tip=Those are some good prices on great scopes
I was looking through their other Sightron deals and found the S1 3-9 Mill-dot so I bought three more of them= More Leupolds will be hitting the road.
The S1 3-9 is one great scope for $99!!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
If you're considering the sightron you should jump on the 16x SIII that SWFA has for 399 right now.
I picked up the 20x SIII for use mostly on varmints, where to me the variables don't seem necessary. Tried the similar Super Sniper 20x a few years back and liked everything but the not-so-good glass; however, am slightly disappointed in the Sightron's, as clarity and detail doesn't seem to be as good as my SII 4-16X Big Sky at longer ranges (the 16X SIII might be a little sharper.) The rear-parallax ring is on the stiff side, too (the first ones in this model were too loose.) Tracking is spot-on. For the discounted price, this is a lot of scope.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewwetzel View Post
I picked up the 20x SIII for use mostly on varmints, where to me the variables don't seem necessary. Tried the similar Super Sniper 20x a few years back and liked everything but the not-so-good glass; however, am slightly disappointed in the Sightron's, as clarity and detail doesn't seem to be as good as my SII 4-16X Big Sky at longer ranges (the 16X SIII might be a little sharper.) The rear-parallax ring is on the stiff side, too (the first ones in this model were too loose.) Tracking is spot-on. For the discounted price, this is a lot of scope.
I've heard mixed reviews on the glass of the fixed power SIII's. I really want to get a 16x but I'd have to get rid of another scope and I don't know if I should or not.