Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Fixed power scope for LR hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Fixed power scope for LR hunting?

Does any one hunt LR with fixed power scope? I'm thinking of getting a fixed power scope about 16X, and would like to shoot 400yds up to 700 yds. I figure that lesser feature such as fixed power will mean less problem, and m dot ranging would be easier. If target is further than 400 yds, field of view wouldn't be of a problem. What are your views?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Fixed power scope for LR hunting?

Most of today's variables are relatively trouble free. Fixed powers may be OK for ground dwelling varmints, but not hoofed and clawed critters. With a 16x, or other non variable, and you come across a trophy at say 100 yds., you are going to have trouble finding him in the scope, cause the FOV is much less. You can have it both ways with a good variable.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for a very prompt reply. I've done a fair share of stalk and shoot with 4x scope, and lost interest in hunting. This LR stuff has rekindle my interest, and I need all help (information) I can get. I think I'll drop my requirement to 10x, with range from 400yds-700yds.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

I tried the fixed power LR thing and didn't like it.

First problem, discovered while actually hunting, was that the 40 mm objective I chose was way too small. When the other side of the mountain was in the shade it was useless.

Had to use the second rifle with a 4.5-14X44mm scope. This scope was way better optics and served me well in all lighting and distance conditions. Reticle is mil dot and FFP which I really like.

But not for ranging!!! Spent plenty of time ranging elk with it. The greater the distance the greater the error. Usually the elk were half as far as I was able to range. This was practice and no shots fired. I then acquired a decent laser range finder and learned the error of my ways.

Also, as mentioned earlier, you'll be in big trouble when a shooter pops up at 75 yards and you can't get on it quickly.

Fixed power is great for shooting paper and rocks but is less than effective for live animals.

just my 2 cents
Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

I doubt you'll reach any precision shooting with a bunch of shortcuts and hollywood in scopes.
You should look at a baseline scope for LRH and consider gains & losses from there.
Something like a Leupold Mk4 in 8.5x25(with Alumina flip-ups) to begin.

Go laser ranging. You need speed and accuracy in your field methods.

If you haven't invested more money in optics than your gun, you're not a long range hunter -yet.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Been using them for years. I love my mark 4 16x. Bout ready to sell my night force over it.

The thing about fixed is that they are much brighter and clearer than variable power scopes even of the same magnification. Less lenses means less distortion. They're also lighter.

With some practice you can shoulder a rifle with a fixed power and be staring right at your target.

My mark 4 10x is awesome and certainly is more user friendly on those rare 20-100 yard shots just isn't quite comfortable at 600+ yards. The 16x is perfect.

Only 1 way for you to know. Try it.

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
If you haven't invested more money in optics than your gun, you're not a long range hunter -yet.
never thought about it that way but so very true!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.