Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

fixed power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: fixed power

I've got a straight 6x nikon monarch on my 375 h@h and a pair of 10x Bushnell elite 3200's (the one with the turrets) on my 270 win's. They'll all run with my variables accuracy wise with sub moa expected of all. The one (tikka) 270 is expected to be sub 1/2 moa with good ammo. 100 or 200 yards for all. I also run a leopold m8 4x eer on my 22-250 pistol for prarie dog hunting and she's good to 1/4 mile on prarie rats.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
For strictly hunting a fixed power 4-8 depending on your hunting style works well and I did that for years. Where you will mumble is when working up a load. Working at 200 yards plus and you can't see the target well enough to hold the same place each time so the groups suck. Being able to hold exactly the same each shot is critical when trying to evaluate a new load and should be done at 200 yards or farther.
I have found that the targets that frame the crosshairs of the scope are very effective for group testing at 200 yards. I have been able to get much tighter groups using them when load testing at 200 yards using lower power scopes.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have found that the targets that frame the crosshairs of the scope are very effective for group testing at 200 yards. I have been able to get much tighter groups using them when load testing at 200 yards using lower power scopes.
Either that or the smallest target you can bisect with your crosshairs. With my higher mag scopes I'll shoot a 1" dot at 200 yards; with the smaller scopes I'll often use a 2" diamond.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM

awesome thanks for the info guys