Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Five top scopes if money WAS an object

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Five top scopes if money WAS an object

I need a best bang for the buck. I can not afford 5 hundred or 1000 dollar scopes. I just can't afford it. I need a good bang for the buck scope. I have to scope two .223 rifles for 3 to 4 hundred yards max.

I know cheap scopes just won't cut it but I have to find a happy medium. The rifles I will be mounting them on is a S&W Sport and a Savage 11/111 both in .223. Not sure the Sport is really capable of prairie dogs at that range but I have taken them with this rifle out to 250 yards with a cheap scope. Problem is the cheap scopes are just not reliable over time. It took a crap on me not to long ago and had a short life.

Now I am trying to find a way to get the best I can afford and still service two rifles. I thought, and maybe this is a crazy idea, but can one scope really be used on two different rifles with success? I was thinking maybe spending a little more for one scope and using a quick change base be able to transfer the scope from one rifle to the other and back again while in the field. Lets say I sighted it in with the AR and made note of the settings. Then transferred the scope to the Savage and sighted it in for it and made note of the settings. Can I move the scope back and forth using the origins settings for each rifle and be sighted in? If so maybe I can get a little better scope rather than buying two lesser scopes.

Does this make any sense or am I just dreaming?

Anyway back to the total if money was an object what are the five best scopes?

thanks
Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Five top scopes if money WAS an object

Don't know about the five best , but here are a few I have used on Pdogs out to about 400 Yards . If you search hard ( or wait for Sales on New ones ) .... you can find them in your price Range : Used Leupold 12X or my favorite a Leupold 16X . Weaver GS 6.5-20 but the thin Cross-Hair and dot are tough to see with my eyes . Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X . Have heard good things about the Minox , but never tried one .
Old 05-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

I have a Shepherd with the P1 reticle I will sell to you if you are interested. I ran Sheps when I first got the long range bug, but have now graduated to dialing range and shooting longer distances. For the 400 yard distance you mentioned, you can do pretty well with a holdover reticle like this. Check out the scope on the Shepherd Scopes website and PM me if you like the looks of the product.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Excellent question. I have no idea, but will follow and see where we go.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

hard question, I have used the falcon menace scopes with good results. You can find them used for 350-425. I like the ML16 reticle the best.

SWFA Riflescopes Falcon Menace Riflescopes

I have no expirance with Millet scopes but they are in that range and people seem to like them. they are second focal plane though, don,t know if that maters to you or not.

SWFA Riflescopes Millett Riflescopes Millett Tactical Riflescopes

I also have a SS scope, durable, great glass. this would be my first choice.

SWFA Riflescopes SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes SWFA SS MRAD Scopes

Nikon, Leopold and Bushnell are solid choices too.

when picking a scope I determine what it needs to have and shop from there.

Low Light = 30mm tube and larger objective lens
Shooting multiple ranges = external turrets or bdc reticle
furthest distance / closest distance= power selection

I prefer some type of mill dot system.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Your two platforms are too different to use the same scope set up. The S&W will use a MSR ring setup to get over the front sight and that puts it several inches high on the Savage. 4X12 on the 223 Savage, like a Leupold or Nikon for <$300 discount. 3X9 on the S&W if it were mine. The limit on most MSR's are their short 16" barrels. That drops the velocity to about 308 speeds with bullets that are not even close in BC.

From the Savage the 223 is solid on small targets to about 400 yards with good ranging, Lasers don't pick up ground squirrels at that distance but their mounds will return pretty reliably. 12X is plenty at 400 yards and limits the mirage.

Just my $0.02

KB
Old 05-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

Check out UTG / Leapers and Falcon Menace scopes.

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas