Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

First and Second Focal plane question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Bronze Member

First and Second Focal plane question!

I have been looking at getting a new scope for a longrange rifle. I'm confused about the first and second focal plane thing. I understand that the reticle changes on one when you change magnification.

My major question is if the scope has repeatable turrets which of these scopes will keep the turrets the same at differnt magnifications??

Which focal plane keeps the turrets the same at any magnification??

(example: i adjust turret to shoot at 500 yards and then zoom in farther with power ring does the adjustment change when i zoom in with the power ring or is it the same?)
Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: First and Second Focal plane question!

The turrets will work the same for both scopes. The only difference between the 2 is that the ffp scopes reticle can be used at any power for range estimation, while on the sfp scope the reticle only works for range estimation at one power, usually the highest power. The other difference is cost, generally a ffp costs more that a sfp. I have a sfp leupold mark 4 6.5-20 and really like it. If I am ranging with my reticle I know it has to be done on 20x.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSLRHunter View Post
The turrets will work the same for both scopes. The only difference between the 2 is that the ffp scopes reticle can be used at any power for range estimation, while on the sfp scope the reticle only works for range estimation at one power, usually the highest power. The other difference is cost, generally a ffp costs more that a sfp. I have a sfp leupold mark 4 6.5-20 and really like it. If I am ranging with my reticle I know it has to be done on 20x.

The FFP VS SFP is not limited to range estimations (most if not all use laser reange finders for that) but if one wants to use the reticle for hold off the FFP works at any magnification and the SFP work at only one magnification.

The SFP scopes reticle remains the same sizein the scope at different magnifications but, changes in size realitive to the target. FFP scopes reticle changes in size in the scope but remains the same in relationshipt to the target
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Shouldnt we call that the rear fp? My lupy 4.5 x 14 b&c and varmint hunter ret is the r fp correct? If so i need to use it on the highest power than?
mike