Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

First scope with turrets, help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 AM

Re: First scope with turrets, help needed

Thanks Kirby. Unfortunately the SWFAs are not available in Canada.

As I understand it, the new Zeiss HD5s do have taeget / exposed turrets and a zero stop - although you can only do one rotation of the elevation turret; 16.5 MOA. That should be plenty for me out to 500 yards.

I guess the only thing I have against it then is the lack of hash marks for wind hold over on the reticle.

What about Trijicon ? Anything there worth looking at?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoetrpr View Post
Thanks Kirby. Unfortunately the SWFAs are not available in Canada.

As I understand it, the new Zeiss HD5s do have taeget / exposed turrets and a zero stop - although you can only do one rotation of the elevation turret; 16.5 MOA. That should be plenty for me out to 500 yards.

I guess the only thing I have against it then is the lack of hash marks for wind hold over on the reticle.

What about Trijicon ? Anything there worth looking at?
The 5-25 model of the HD5 has exposed target turrets, the 3-15 model does not have target turrets. It does have capped turrets that can be set to zero. The 5-25 will run around $1200 in the US with shipping on average, probably more in Canada.

Nothing wrong with Trijicon scopes but I thought you wanted a scope that was under $1000. The Trijicon scopes in this power range are in the $3000 range. They do offer a higher power scope that is in the $1200 range.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Thanks Kirby. I had not realized that the Zeiss 3-15x had capped turrets. I would have been sorely dissapointed had I ordered online.

I've accepted that I'm not going to get what I'm looking for in the under $1k range. So I'm interested in what the best values are for scopes with exposed turrets, good glass and a zero stop in the 4-16x range or so.

The Sightron Siii 6-24x and Vortex Viper 6-24x PST both sound good and perhaps I shouldn't be stuck on a low end of 3-4x. I think the Trijicon Accupoint has exposed turrets in the 5-25x model but i dont think it has a zero stop. I plan on using this rifle some day out west for an elk hunt and in Quebec for a Caribou hunt. The reality is that it will probably see 2 weeks in the next decade in the field and the rest of the time on the range.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

if you are looking for a scope in the $1000 range, the Bushnell Elite Tactical has knobs and they have several reticle options to look at. imho, you will be best served at that price range with the Zeiss. it would be VERY rare that you would go past one full turn of elevation on the knob.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Yes the Zeiss does seem pretty good. The only thing I have against it is the lack of windage markes on the reticle as I think I would prefer to holdover for windage. Guess I can learn to dial for it.

You've got to compromise somewhere.

The Swaro Z5 3.5-18x BT seems like it has everything I want except for FFP.
- Exposed turret with multiple zeros (please correct me someone if this is wrong!)
- Good glass
- 4W reticle allows hold over for wind
- Very light

But like everything Swaro it is more expensive.

So I am sitting between:
- Swaro Z5 3-18x BT 4W SFP
- Zeiss 5-25x Target exposed turrets with Z-Plex, SFP, dial for windage, zero stop
- Sightron 6-24x Target exposed turret, FFP, no zero stop
- Vortex Viper 6-24 PST, FFP, exposed turrets, zero stop, MOA reticle so dial for windage. Glass quality probably not as good as the first three.

Right now Vortex Viper seems to have all the features I am looking for with probably a slight compromise on glass quality.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

If your willing to spend $1600 on a Swaro that has no zero stop and very little vertical adjustment range, why not save up another $350 and get the NF NXS 3-15x 50mm with HST and zero stop and more vertical adjustment range then you could ever use? The NP-R1 reticle has the windage hold off lines. The reference lines on the vertical stadia of the crosshair will make no difference if your dialing up for each shot and FFP is also meaningless if your dialing up for each shot.

Kind of interesting how we start comparing $500-$700 scopes and discuss several, then we move up to $1000 scopes as a budget line and discuss options and now you say your thinking about a $1600 swaro......

Do you have a set budget for this project? IF not, my recommendation would be the NF NXS 3-15x 50mm with HST, Zero stop and NP-R1 reticle.

The swaros have a well earned rep for fine optical performance but they are not as well known for a lot of dialing up for each shot. The NF is PROVEN all around for this type of function so you would be wiser to go that route if your looking to spend this amount of money. If your willing to spend $1600, you would be very smart to save up another $300-$350 and get the NF, you will not be unhappy.

For what your looking to do, its certainly not required.

Looking at your list of scopes, you have an $800 scope on the bottom end, $1600 scope on the top end and of all of them, I would still recommend the SWFA SS 3-15x 42mm for what your looking to do. If you know anyone in the states, you can easily have them order the scope and have it shipped up to you no problem.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

I also support Fiftydriver's advise regarding the nightforce. I have one and have never regretted of its buying.