Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

First scope with turrets, help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM

First scope with turrets, help needed

I'm looking to by my first scope with Turrets. Right now I shoot mostly 3x9x50's in a couple different makes, but ready to make a little jump to targets.

A little info: I will be mounting the scope on my .270 used pretty much only for deer hunting, with shots 400 yards and less. The only time I would use it for 500 and 600 yards shots is at the range, just to do it. I have read some info on the FFP and SFP's and I'm not convinced at my level that I need the upgraded FFP. Maybe the next step with be the FFP, but for now I just want a good quality scope with turrets for a good price.

Now I realize it is like asking whats better a ford or a chevy, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM

Re: First scope with turrets, help needed

Are you talking target turrets? Or are you just planning on stepping into dialing your shots rather than holdovers?

At those ranges, I don't see any reason to get any higher than a 3-9x, provided you've got good enough glass. If you're going for something better, make sure you get good quality glass. I find clarity to be much more useful than higher magnification with lower quality glass. When you start to zoom way in, the picture is terrible. You just can't see well enough to make anything happen.

I would still recommend a ffp scope, even though you don't think you want it. And make sure the reviews you read on whatever you're looking at comments on good repeatability on turret adjustments. There are plenty of good scopes available in a lot of different price ranges. Totally depends how much you're planning on spending.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Yes, looking at dial my distances so I don't have to do holdovers.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Budget?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would think that for a 270 for use out to 500-600 yards, hold over will work just as well if not better then dialing up for each shot. No risk of getting lost in your dial ups and works faster anyway. Works very well for ranges out to 1/2 mile and even more. Past that, certainly dial up is more precise.

It all depends on your budget. If you want to dial up, you will want a good quality scope, probably at least $1000 investment. IF you want a zero stop which is also smart, your looking at $1500 to $1700 investment.

If you use hold over, you can get a very good scope for $700 in the SWFA 3-15x 42mm. Great reticle, FFP, good glass, comparible to most $1000 scopes. For a budget long range scope, very impressive. The reticle is set up on mil dot specs but has see through diamonds on the mil dots and 1/2 mil hash lines so there is a line every 1.8 moa. For hold over out to 1/2 mile, you can make very precise shot placement.

Now, if your budget allows for it, there are better scopes out there but these are not needed for what your looking to do to be honest. You do not need a +$1500 scope for under 700 yard shooting and hunting.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 PM

Kirby and others. I'm in the same position. I'm interested in your recommendations on particular brands and models of scopes that do have turrets and a zero stop, with good optics and are a good value a like the SWFA scopes you listed.

While I too plan only shooting out to 500 yards or so, I simply prefer an uncluttered view in the reticle and think it will be easier for me to dial rather than hold over.

I like the 4-16x for the range even though a lower magnification would be perfectly fine in the field on large game.

Sightron seems to make nice scopes for the price. What do you think of them? (Unfortunately they don't have a SIII in 4-16x - just 3-10x and then 6-24x).

Nightforce seems real nice but expensive. I was hoping to spend in the $1k range.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x with turrets and Zero Stop seems nice. I don't like the fact that it does not have hold over marks for wind.

Swarovski Z3 seems decent also. Really like the 4W reticle. Don't like the fact that they have no parallax adjustment.

Vortex Viper PST seems to have it all but seems to be getting a reputation for scopes failing.

Would really like to hear your opinions on these and others.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

The SWFA SS does not have a zero stop. Your going to spend a lot more to get that feature. If your doing to dial up, it would be smart to invest a bit more and get that feature, it is a good feature for dial up shooters for sure.

The Zeiss is a good scope, great glass but it does not have exposed turrets which may be a pain and it also does not have a zero stop feature. You can zero the turrets but it does not have a zero stop.

The nightforce is a great choice but as you mentioned, costly but you would be spending your money very wisely with that investment. Still, depending on your rifle, the 3.5-15x may be pretty large and heavy for your application.

The Sightron SII are decent scopes. Would prefer to see an SIII. That said, I think there are others that would offer more then the SII will offer you.

The Swaro has great glass obviously but that's about the end of it. For a dial up scope or hold over scope, there are better ones out there for the amount of money you will put down for the Swaro. Again, nothing againt them, about as good as it gets for glass but that's only one feature and it takes many to make a great long range scopes and you can get them for less money.

I have owned a couple of the PST 4-16 and PST 6-24. For some reason, in my opinion, the 6-24 is a superior scope to the 4-16 models. I would own a 6-24, I will not own a 4-16.

Still, for a long range scope in the $500 to $800 range, you would be hard pressed to really improve much on the SWFA SS for the money spent. Again, its not a PRETTY scope, it does not have a lot of fluff and frills. Just works and that's about it.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com