Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

First long range rifle, what scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First long range rifle, what scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybrown View Post
Well I'm still leaning on something with a top magnification of between 24-32. I'm pretty sure I want some sort of mil-dot. I'm looking at Sightron, Vortex, Leupold, and maybe a Huskemaw. I couldn't find a Nikon with a mildot in the power range I wanted. Any other brands to look at or advice on reticle?
Don't overlook the Konus M-30 8.5-32x52. It's a 2nd Focal Plane scope, and is not quite NightForce or Zeiss quality, but for $350, it blows away all the other scopes anywhere near its price range, that I've looked through.

Also has tons of features. Some people didn't like them, or thought they were cheap.....Mine has been a pleasure to shoot. I have high-end scopes, and have shot lots of very high-end scopes before.....And for a shooter on a budget, this is hands-down the best scope for the money.

I have one on my Remington 700 5R .308. It tracks nicely. It passes a "box" test. It has a glass etched reticle. Illuminated reticle (both red & blue). Has big turretts with locks on them. Handles the recoil very nicely, and doesn't jump or eclipse when shooting. The eye relief is nice and easy, and not too picky.

I mean, I hate to rave on and on about a $350 scope, but it really is ALOT of scope for the money.

Another guy I know out in Cali bought one for his .308 AR, and he said he loves it, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for the replies so far, keep them coming in!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

Hey,

They may not have the mil-dot, but they do have the bdc recitle in 6-24: MONARCH 3 6-24x50 SF BDC from Nikon

It also has the 1/8 MOA clicks
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

I have a few Nikon scopes and am pretty happy with them, one of them does have the BDC reticle. I'm not sure if I want to have that reticle on a long range rifle where I won't be able to compensate for both windage and elevation though.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Forgot to mention the Konus is a Mil-Dot reticle. Also, Midway USA sells them.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Most of the shooters that are recommending the really high power scopes aren't the ones shooting 1000 yards and beyond. They may be great for Bench Rest for really precise work but much above 20X -24X at the extended distances tend to get darker and most days the mirage will be so bad you'll be cranking the power back just to see the target. We've been using 5 -20 X 50 SWFA on our guns and have never felt we needed any more.

You really need to look thru various scopes at real distances and targets so you'll see what others are telling you. Like others mentioned, it has to be reliable first with good mechanics, nearly all in that price range have decent glass. Everyone's eyes are different so what I find clear and crisp you may not. Visit a range that has the distances you're wanting to shoot on a practice or match day and nearly everyone will let you look thru their scopes.

Good luck

Topstrap
Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Supersniper, quality economy
Premier
Swarovski
Schmidt & Bender
Zeiss, manageable
Falcon Menace, quality economy
Leupold, manageable
Nightforce

I donít like mil-dots as they are counterproductive to the type of magnification you are seeking. I like hash marks.. tough to give pointers, since this is an extremely personal criteria, but, for me, I look at reticles first and foremost, do you want a simple crosshair? Or ballistic type? I assume you want very fine reticle? In this case you will be looking at least $1500. I started with a Burris FFII 10x to start, it was $250 and still have it mounted, I had the reticle switched to a fine reticle. But that is a cheapy that I bought because I couldnít make up my mind. But canít complain, it is a solid scope. Others that want high magnification, sometimes compromise on clarity.. (once you get past 15x or so, a lot of scopesí glass quality goes down, but there are some that do fine) .. I suggest either you experiment with a Leupy or just go full out for a Nightforce which in my opinion has some of the best reticles availabe, but so does Premier, Leupold and S&B. You will have to pull the trigger, so I canít make the decision.. My guess is if you splurge, you will be more than happy, just get ready for your bank account to hit rock bottom in the near and distant futureÖ good luck!

ps. forgot to ask if this is for competition? if so, by all means, splurge.!