Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

First long range rifle, what scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

First long range rifle, what scope?

Well, kinda my first long range rifle. This will be my first target rifle and I need some help picking optics out. The previous owner was shooting 3.5-4" groups at 1k yards with a Nikon Monarch 8-32 mildot scope. I don't currently have anywhere to shoot that far, but I can get 5-600 yards at a friends house. I would like to buy a scope that will allow me to shoot further in the future when I get a chance. I'd like to stay at or under $1000. I've looked at the SIII's in 8-32 but don't have any experience with them. I have also looked at the Leupold 8.5-25's. The 8-32 Monarch with the mildot was a limited run so I think I'll have a hard time finding them. I don't have a problem going used as long as it's a quality scope. What brands/scopes am I missing? I want to look at all my options before I drop a lot of money.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: First long range rifle, what scope?

Why do you want so much zoom?

Lots of zoom does not make it a long range scope, it actually limits the internal travel so it has the opposite effect.

I would look at no more than 6-24 zoom range, and I would look at the Vortex PST
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

A 8-32 was what the PO had on it. I haven't looked into the Sightron scopes that much, that was just one I saw in the for sale section. I'm leaning toward the Leupold right now, but I'll take a look at the Vortex
Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

I prefer higher zoom scopes. I shoot with my 5R .308 scope zoomed up at 32x and clarified at 100 yards. That allows me to make surgical precision shots.

Also, when at distance the 32x will help you see what you're aiming at farther away. You might not always have a spotting scope with you.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

I love 6-24 and would say it is plenty for your intended distances and a little more versatile but 8-32 is in the same ballpark.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Silver Member

Well I'm still leaning on something with a top magnification of between 24-32. I'm pretty sure I want some sort of mil-dot. I'm looking at Sightron, Vortex, Leupold, and maybe a Huskemaw. I couldn't find a Nikon with a mildot in the power range I wanted. Any other brands to look at or advice on reticle?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

swfa SS 5-20x50, Weaver tactical 3-15x50 EMDR, 6-24 PST, Bushnell 3-21 HDMR are all in your grasp. I chose the Weaver tactical and have been pleased so far, great glass and repeatable clicks. The zeiss products seem to win the loyalty of most shooters that use them.

Couple of things to help you decide:

Internals, internals, internals. Vertical adjustment range will determine how far you can reach. Pay for internal part performance and craftsmanship.

Click adjustment accuracy and repeatability are essential to long range performance. Don't compromise on this.

If your scope fails you're done long range hunting. Warrantied or not I want my scope to perform first time, every time. Durability matters even more at long range.

MOA or Mrad or IPHY, if you aren't ranging with the reticle it won't matter much. Make sure the reticle and click adjustments match.

Glass is secondary, but also important. Glass appraisal is nearly the same as conventional hunting just to a greater degree. At extended ranges weaknesses in the glass or system are greatly exaggerated and can/will cost you the shot.

Using these parameters it is easy to understand why Nightforce is so highly lauded in tactical or long range shooting and almost never discussed in conventional hunting gear.