Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

First impressions of Vortex HS LR.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

First impressions of Vortex HS LR.

Well my WOTac finally wore out and I needed to make an optic upgrade so I ran into a nice selection of Vortex optics at a local store and felt them up and ended coming home with a Vortex 4-16x44 HS LR with the Dead HoldBDC reticle and a set of Nightforce ultra light rings.
I was a bit worried about this optic being set up with 1/2 MOA elevation clicks but liked the idea of having 24 MOA in one rev and after looking at the facts of the situation it's about as ideal a set up for the rifle it's going on, a 0-1200 yard meat whacker!!

I set it up in the rings on my test stand and leveled it then locked it down and commenced tracking calibration. It is tracking 1.042 at 100 yards so just shy of perfect MOA, as a side note here my dads Vortex PST tracks at the same value so we're 2 for 2 on Vortex product tracking very, very close!!

I whipped off the WOTac, tightened a loose base and set up the Vortex on my 270 WSM, it fit much better and gave me a more comfortable check weld, loaded up some 175 Matrix and calibrated the Applied Ballistics program and ran to the range.
The optical clarity was such an upgrade and even with conditions that just flat knocked out my other optics the Vortex was easy to shoot. I could easily pick out the aim point on an antelope at 980 yards in heavy mirage so I really couldn't be happier with the glass.
I got zeroed and set the elevation turret,and installed the zero stop shims, really happy to have a zero stop and with a 20 MOA rail I have 72 MOA of elevation left! The capped windage turret simply zeros by lifting and turning, I like having it capped and tight to the scope for thrashing timber and the cap matches the elevation turret nicely.
First target was an 8in gong at 600 yards and spun it first shot and I could easily see the hit which I could not before. Second shot went to 1030 yards, dialed in one rev of 24 MOA and cranked on some wind and put it within 1/2 MOA of POA, so I'm very happy at this point and dial back to the zero stop and take the windage out and capped the turret. Next target was 1450 yards, dialed on 41.5 MOA and cranked the scope to 8x which put the second windage mark as 8 MOA, held on the second windage mark and let it go and watched it land at the base of a 18in rock, put on one more click and smoked it I wanted to try using the reticle for hold over to see how it would do in a closer range situation. Ranged an 8in rock at 560 yards and checked my program and it called for 10 MOA up and 2 right so the second bar down is 4.5 MOA at 16x so I dialed it back to 8x again so it would be 9 MOA and I held at the top of the rock and over and wacked it twice quickly and turned back to the zero stop and checked zero again.
I'm very happy with the versatility this optic is going to bring to my hunting and it's going to work very well for the effective range of my rifle. I'll get my ranges set for the BDC reticle at the different substention that are clearly marked on the power ring and I can have a range and shoot ability but I can easily and quickly dial in for range and hold for wind out past 600 yards or so. It's really trimmed up my rifle, next to get changed is the barrel is going to go to a lighter contour and the stock is going to a Manners MCS-T giving me what I think is going to be a very versatile and effective meat stick that is packable

First impressions of Vortex HS LR.-210.jpg

First impressions of Vortex HS LR.-211.jpg

First impressions of Vortex HS LR.-213.jpg

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: First impressions of Vortex HS LR.

Nice review and setup. Also, awesome shooting!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Great review.

Glad to see you got your zero stop.

Vortex seems to be coming on quite strong!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

i have the regular version of this scope, by choice, and so far am very happy with the performance. just a great scope for the money.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Nice scope and great shooting !!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

Great review. My brother has the PST and i'm very impressed with it. With the warranty, price, and features they make an awesome light weight, long range hunting optic.

What contour are you going with on your rebarrel? What contour is on there now, rem varmint?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

The more I shoot it the more I dig it, just a lot of scope for the money IMO. In this price range I think the SIII Sightron has a touch better glass and I like it on a heavier ELR rig but on a packing hard hunting rig the HS LR or PST are just more rugged in the turrets and with the zero stop it's a hard to beat.

MuleHunter I'm wanting to go with a #5 I think, the contour on it is obscenely heavy like a heavy palma or something, not sure just saw it and looked good for a barrel I was going to burn up having fun. I need to get this rifle to a state that I can swing up and pile drive a running deer but still have it set a bipod well for long shots, my dad has a #5 on his 6.5 Sherman and it does both very well, much more practical over all for a precision hunting rifle!! Going to keep it a 270 of some kind just because of the performance of the 165 Matrix on game but I have a hankering for something a little different than the WSM but I still may do it again.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"