Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

First focal plane or Second focal plane?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: First focal plane or Second focal plane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I agree with your hold over feelings. I was, and still have major tendencies in that direction and will most probably never get over it.

I hold over w/my carry gun out to 880 yards, top of post 5 mils holdover. I would be much more comfortable with an MOA reticle than the Mil one I have.

I'm pretty certain that when and if the pressure is on for a quick second shot with the NF scope that there will be no clicking between.

My goal, however, is to make a complete switch to clicking, but life may not be quite long enough.
+1 I agree

Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
look at the Zeiss "Z" reticle, no need to send in when changing load/cal/rifle,
I use the z-800 on .300rum, .243AI, and one 22-250, and at first i switched them around according to the season. now they are dedicated to one rifle.
On your zeiss what power do you have to be on for hold over. i was looking some time ago at them and it appeared you had to be a few powers less then the maxium power. if that was correct what i was reading that wouild be confusing.
mike
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

the power is adjusted relative to the fps, using the zeiss web site tool, and i don't find it confusing. If i have enough time to do the glassing/ranging/wind dope/etc. , I have plenty of time to move the power selector.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
the power is adjusted relative to the fps, using the zeiss web site tool, and i don't find it confusing. If i have enough time to do the glassing/ranging/wind dope/etc. , I have plenty of time to move the power selector.
I understand using there table but dont you have to have the power selector on certain power not the highest.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
I understand using there table but dont you have to have the power selector on certain power not the highest.
it depends on the cal. and fps, some calibers/fps match the lines at the highest power.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

I enjoy the topic of scopes. Just a plain ole mill dot for me. B.D.C. needs the bullet bc and velocity tailored to work with the scope. m.o.a. is too much thinking. A milli radian is always 1/1000th the distance to the target no matter what your shooting, even a sling shot. mill is extremely good for measuring distances as well, if you know the approximate size of your target you know the distance to your target, with very little practice you will learn to instantly use those dots for hold-over and never once mess around twisting knobs on your scope (but it sure looks cool, those big ole knobs sticking way out and and readjusting themselves on every branch you walk by and don't forget to twist em back every time you use them).