Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

First focal plane or Second focal plane?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 PM

First focal plane or Second focal plane?

After hearing some replies form senior members on scope recomendations
Selecting A Tactical Rifle Scope - Articles: Instructional - Blog Articles - CS TACTICAL I had one last on scope selection several people have said tht second focal plane scopes require more math when figuring the shot is this really a issue that would disswade someone from buying a nightforce scope? I was under the inmpression that scope that were offered in the second focal plane was a higher end scope are there more benifits to one of the other... all help is appreciated thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First focal plane or Second focal plane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty061200r View Post
After hearing some replies form senior members on scope recomendations
several people have said tht second focal plane scopes require more math when figuring the shot is this really a issue that would disswade someone from buying a nightforce scope?

My personal favorite by a long shot is the FFP reticle. Yes, less thinkin goes into hold over determination at different powders.

A GREAT BIG NO! as far as dissuading from the NXS purchase. My last purchase was an NXS. I'm way more confident in clicking than hold over.

My two bits.....
Old 04-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

just get a Nightforce in FFP.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

myself i prefer the hold over method when hunting and target shooting, just used it for so long I guess.
the choice becomes one of personal prefrence in regard to which scope you buy/use. decide what you want to use the rifle for most, then pick the scope that does the job for you. all major mfgs. have great optics, and some will "look better" ie: clearer/sharper to you. ffp and sfp both work very well, so pick the one you like best and learn how to use it.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
myself i prefer the hold over method when hunting and target shooting, just used it for so long I guess.
the choice becomes one of personal prefrence in regard to which scope you buy/use. decide what you want to use the rifle for most, then pick the scope that does the job for you. all major mfgs. have great optics, and some will "look better" ie: clearer/sharper to you. ffp and sfp both work very well, so pick the one you like best and learn how to use it.

I agree with your hold over feelings. I was, and still have major tendencies in that direction and will most probably never get over it.

I hold over w/my carry gun out to 880 yards, top of post 5 mils holdover. I would be much more comfortable with an MOA reticle than the Mil one I have.

I'm pretty certain that when and if the pressure is on for a quick second shot with the NF scope that there will be no clicking between.

My goal, however, is to make a complete switch to clicking, but life may not be quite long enough.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses be a newcomer to the sport all the choices are a bit overwhelming I like the idea of the bdc turrets just find the yardage and click... but that would tie that scope to that caliber until sending it in and changing it out... I figure I will stick with the second focal plane and just learn it / as far as the reticle goes after looking a bit I kinda like the mil/ mil combo I have noticed that the nightforce it a bit more expensive with this combo but there is no comverting from mil to moa... once again thanks for the responses since I am just starting out I want to get it right / but I am learning there is right or wrong just prefrance and since I am unfamiliar I have to get a feel for the majority of Prefrance from the shooting community... thanks again
Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

look at the Zeiss "Z" reticle, no need to send in when changing load/cal/rifle,
I use the z-800 on .300rum, .243AI, and one 22-250, and at first i switched them around according to the season. now they are dedicated to one rifle.