Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Finally ready for a good scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Re: Finally ready for a good scope

Thank you.

Lots of valuable info on this board.

Unread 10-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Writers Guild

Pahunter, I guess it depends on what you define as best. The following are scopes I have direct experience with and can recommend. When I look for optics, money is not the deciding factor. Optical and mechanical quality come first.

Best overal value target scope: B&L 4000/4200. Downside is limited elevation adjustment. Optics and mechanics are superb.

For more money and a bit smaller field of view but more elevation adjustment, Nikon Monarch. These two will equal or beat the optical quality of just about everything out there at any price. Low light performance for these scopes are superb too.

Best value tactical scope: Elite 3200 10X. Awesome mechanically, optically about the same as leupold (maybe better).

Most elevation scope: Tasco Super Sniper 10X and 16X. Had bad experience with the 20X. Optically same/better then Leupold.

Also, have a look at the Pentax/Burris 30mm scopes. Playing with a lightseeker right now and am impressed. Except for the retarded target knob adjustments (8.5min per revolution - duh!!!), a good scope. Pretty pricey though. Optically not as good as the B&L/Nikons but pretty darn good.

With todays manufacturing, price does not always determine quality. Brands like Nikon and Bushnell Elite are at the front for lense quality and coatings, right now. Leupold and other European brands will catch up but they are so much more expensive that I find it hard to justify.

Best thing to do is look through as many scopes as you can. The difference will be obvious and the results may surprise you. They certainly did for me...

Unread 10-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

European optics manufacturers have the best, when it comes to reliability,clarity and optical excellence.
S&B, Zeis/Hensold,Swarovski, are the leaders
Kahles areas good.
Gerhard, Nightforce come a close second.
Leupold, Doctor Optik,Nikon, IOR, the Bushnell elite come quite a ways back in 3rd place.
I haven't treid US Optics, but i have heared good and bad reports.
If i was going for a Leupold i would have one from Premier Reticles.
The Zeiss Conquest is a bargain and have much to offer, shame about the 1" tube, as are the hungarian S&B's available in the UK.
Occupying the British Zone.