Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FINALLY!! Burris has listened!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: FINALLY!! Burris has listened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruero04 View Post
I want to revive this thread with a question that I want answered. Do either the Burris Veracity or Steiner GS3 compare to the Zeiss HD5? I love the FFP and Parallax adjustment of the Burris over the Steiner and Zeiss but are those advantages at the sacrifice of glass quality? I know the Steiner/Zeiss will have Schott Glass but so does Minox and they suck... How does Hi-Lume compare to C.A.T. and LotuTec coatings?

Anyway I wanted to bring some more discussion to the table because I am looking at buying one of the three scopes and really want to know the Steiner/Zeiss price is justified or not.

Thanks,

Robert.
Lon

Do a custom search on the top right corner on Burris veracity and you'll find a nice evaluation by Bruce.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 AM
Silver Member

Re: FINALLY!! Burris has listened!

It must be Beretta that listened.....maybe to the cash cow bottom line. Burris isn't Burris anymore. Burris is Beretta. And Steiner is Beretta. And if Burris starts looking like Steiner that's because both of them are Beretta owned and now really just trade names for Beretta. The trade name that gets stamped on a Beretta produced product will be the one that adds the most to the Beretta bottom line.

My brother-in-law has "Danner" boots made in China. They do not even have Vibram soles, like my old USA Danner Ft. Lewis boots do. My LL Bean Cresta Hiker boots made by AKU, which is an Italian company, have Vibram soles, and are made in Europe in the AKU factory, for close to the Chinese-built Danner price. World of difference in build quality, but not much difference in price. I think the actual big difference may be corporate profits.

I have USA-built Danner boots called Combat Hikers the US military paid $320 for, and they were issued for Afghanistan service, because I bought an unworn pair from a returning special forces soldier. In comparing them to my $200 LL Bean Cresta Hikers made by AKU, the AKU boots are definitely more comfortable and more durable. Similar Vibram soles on both, but the Danner boots have rand separation problems at two-years service. Been wearing the LL Bean boots since 2007 with no similar failure. Soles are finally worn out, but the uppers lasted with no rand separation.

Does NOT matter if you are talking scopes, boots or whatever. When a company is bought out, it is usually for profit motives. I would be VERY surprised if Burris scope quality remains as high or goes up after the Beretta acquisition. Most of the upscale Burris scope models were dropped after the acquisition. It looks like Beretta will focus on selling a lot of the cheaper models made overseas. Not likely Burris will maintain the reputation they once had. Beretta is NOT an optics company, so they have no expertise in improving any optics company they might buy.

Last edited by FAL Shot; 03-02-2014 at 02:13 AM. Reason: change