Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FINALLY!! Burris has listened!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: FINALLY!! Burris has listened!

an elaboration on your comment...

It is a very competitive market with quite a few players. Only time (and sales will tell).
Old 01-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Agreed. This thing might be a total turd, it's just nice to see another option available.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Looks like they missed another opportunity to be relevant in the long range optics market, I like the looks of it and it looks built but in FFP and with thick reticles they just are not anything I'd mount on a precision rifle! Swing and a Miss!!
According to their website the reticle is only .17 MOA thick. How small do you want it?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/g2bmildot.html
Old 01-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefreak8 View Post
Agreed. This thing might be a total turd, it's just nice to see another option available.
I would hope not. Candidly, I own a Japanese made Burris (with LOE Glass) and it's a long eye relief pistol scope mounted on a really heavy recoiling 44 magnum Smith and it performs flawlessly and has for years. Clear and without abberations and it was cheap too.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm very impressed with the Weaver Kaspa Series (stupid name). Every review I read says good things about them and they are Weaver cheap. They may not be perfect at shooting the box but the side parallelax is real cose to spot on and they are repeatable and I would imagine of Chinese orign and I would surmise that these Burris scopes are as well.

That also applies to the cheaper Vortex line (Chinese). Nothing in the Vortex line is made here anyway. The best you'll get is the Razor/Viper PST and it's assembled in the Phillipenes from components sourced from who knows where.

Speaking from what I can ascertain only, IMO, the only domestic assembled optics are the higher end Leupold and Strevens VX3's and above and the Trigicon. Trigicon is just north of me off Wixom road and Leupolds are assembled and have intrinsic machining done in Beaverton. Oregon, both expensive and probably over rated as well. I have no idea where Huskemaw is sourced from but I suspect it's offshore as well, components wise.

World Class manufacturing is interesting to say the least.

It actually suprises me today when I buy something and it says (on it) Made in America.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Bronze Member

Like dodgefreck8 I have had the Signature select scope 4 x 16 x 44, good glass, bad turret, even when adding their tactacal turret for $80.00. The Veracity sounds good to me. The 4 x 20 x 50 with FFP, zero stop, side focus parallax, 70 MOA of elevation adjustment, 1/4 MOA clicks, and weights 27.2 ounces. I like having the low end at 4 power. Just to many times 5 or 6 power is a problem close-in and still have 20 power and good turrets. Whats not to like? If it proves to be tough and reliable I'm in.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus McCrae View Post
Good lord...30 oz. Those things must be built like tanks. Good looking scopes though.
There are some pretty uninformed or uneducated comments here that are really confusing.

The 34mm tubes are what make more elevation possible, but the exterior of the tube isn't the end of the story, as I'll point out later. More elevation travel isn't required for most of you, so you can just move along, these optics aren't for you. I know for me personally, I normally wouldn't even consider an optic if I can't get 100 MOA minimum.

As soon as you rocket scientists can figure out how to make GLASS lighter weight, you'll be millionaires. Changing a scope's exterior materials isn't going to make more than a couple ounces difference, steel or aluminum to Ti or carbon fiber might only amount to a couple oz overall.
It's the glass that makes the weight.

The reason they went with a bigger tube, is so they could offer a more durable tube...with close to the same amount of elevation travel. This is just an example, but consider that they made the INTERNAL dimensions, the same as a 30mm optic would have, which would explain why the 5-25 model has 90 MOA of travel, (compared to the 5.5-22 NF) which has 100 MOA of travel. By doing this, they can beef up the tube's wall thickness 2mm for a total of 34mm diameter.
This gives them a stronger tube, with nearly the same mount of internal adjustment and is still LIGHTER than the NF ACTAR.

It's not out of line, not uncommon, and not gonna change. Glass isn't going to get any lighter. If you want a lighter scope, get fixed power.

Burris 5-25 XTR II is 32.1 oz
Nightforce 5-25 is 38 oz
Bushnell 4.5-30 XRS is 37 oz
Bushnell 6-24 ERS is 27 oz
Leupold 3.5-25 Mk 8 is 37 oz
Vortex Razor 5-20 is 35.2 oz
Premier 5-25 is 39 oz
S&B 5-25 is 38 oz
Hensoldt 6-24 is 30 oz
Old 01-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefreak8 View Post
The weight isn't really a concern to me when it comes to what these scopes offer. I want really good glass and reliability along with FFP, zero stops, MIL/MIL reticle etc. I'm really liking the lighted reticle knob incorporated in the side focus knob. I never really cared for them on the eye piece.

I was looking at a viper PST anyway so the weight was already close to these. Also 90MOA of elevation is nice compared to the pst's 65. Really looks like a great attempt if the glass is on par with sightron and vortex.

I have a Burris Signature Select now and it's been a great scope. The only complaint I have about it is the turret clicks aren't real positive and the tiny allen screws that keep the caps on aren't great.

I know I'm going to hold off purchasing the PST until I can put these two side by side and compare them.
Where does it say 90 MOA adjustment ? I can only see 50 MOA in a 34 mm tube on their site . Maybe I am not looking in the right place . Ok disregard that I see it now .