Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FFP or SFP Please vote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: FFP or SFP Please vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJHNTR View Post
All I can say is WOW! I post a question before I leave on a hunting trip and get back to find a great discusion with 8 pages of VERY useful information. Based on this information I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA "SFP" today. I am gonna try it first and see if it suits my needs.
I can not thank everyone enough for all the great information. This is why I love this place!!!
You will like that scope a lot. It is a great entry level scope price wise with features that some more expensive scopes don't offer or don't do as well.

Have fun practicing!

Scot E.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Silver Member

Sooo... If I'm tracking this correctly....

If my FFP mil reticle vertical and horizontal stadia subtends 0.06mils (.20 in at 100yds?) then at 1000yds it will cover a 2.0in area? If I did the math correctly.

This has been a really enlightening and informative thread! Thanks everyone.

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Sooo... If I'm tracking this correctly....

If my FFP mil reticle vertical and horizontal stadia subtends 0.06mils (.20 in at 100yds?) then at 1000yds it will cover a 2.0in area? If I did the math correctly.

This has been a really enlightening and informative thread! Thanks everyone.
Yes Sir.

Scot E.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Thank you sir for your reply. As I don't have a lot of experience with FFP reticles, or really SFP for that matter, what would be an acceptable range for reticle thickness? I'm looking at distance of 1k and beyond. Thanks again.

Doc

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower

Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Thank you sir for your reply. As I don't have a lot of experience with FFP reticles, or really SFP for that matter, what would be an acceptable range for reticle thickness? I'm looking at distance of 1k and beyond. Thanks again.

Doc
If you are going 1k+ I would probably look at SFP scopes for this purpose. However, be careful as there are SFP reticles that are as thick or thicker than FFP reticles so be sure you watch out for that when choosing a scope.

If you are set on FFP I would look at Vortex Razor's or PST's with the EBR2b reticle. They have fine line thickness and a small open center crosshair which allows for very precise aiming.

The Premier Gen2XR is another very good one. It is offered in a few scope brands as well as their own Heritage and LT series, has a very thin line thickness, .04 MIL for the main reticle but .03 for the center crosshair. Very usable for most applications as that subtends to .1 at 100 yards and 1 inch at 1000 yards.

Nightforce's 3 new reticle designs are all good IMO. Not as thin as the ones above but well designed and usable unless you are shooting paper or competition. But putting bullets in tight groups on big game, steel or rocks, yup plenty doable.

Good Luck.

Scot E.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Great info sir! The Premier G2XR is the reticle I'm seriously considering for all the reasons you have covered here as well as being a mil/mil scope. There is an SFP which is a 9 mil dot that I'm looking at also but unfortunately it is moa/mil.

Thanks Sir! Stay Warm!

Doc

Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

The vortex viper pst 6-24x50 with ebr-1 moa reticule , the line thinkness is .06 or .6" at 1000 yards. Just about perfect i think.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755