Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FFP or SFP Please vote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: FFP or SFP Please vote

Bottom line is most shooters prefer SFP, and it takes only a quick look-through between FFP & SFP for them to adopt this preference.
Even if there was something better about FFP for LR shooting(and there isn't), shooters would still choose SFP. I think we, and competitors, choose SFP and also MOA instead of MILs for a very similar reason: PRECISION of aim.

Just for example
If this scope were FFP, you could not see the reticle at lower powers, nor the target at higher powers: Ultra-High Magnification 8-80x56mm March Riflescope Daily Bulletin
Truly, FFP scopes will never match the potential of SFP scopes.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Bottom line is most shooters prefer SFP, and it takes only a quick look-through between FFP & SFP for them to adopt this preference.
Even if there was something better about FFP for LR shooting(and there isn't), shooters would still choose SFP. I think we, and competitors, choose SFP and also MOA instead of MILs for a very similar reason: PRECISION of aim.

Just for example
If this scope were FFP, you could not see the reticle at lower powers, nor the target at higher powers: Ultra-High Magnification 8-80x56mm March Riflescope Daily Bulletin
Truly, FFP scopes will never match the potential of SFP scopes.

I could be wrong here but near the bottom of the page, the center picture with the FML-1 reticle, it is not the X series but the FX series which is FFP. The FML-1 reticle is an FFP reticle only and to my knowledge is only offered in the F and FX lines which are both FFP.

As a side note, that reticle dot subtends 1.7 inches at 1000 yards if it is indeed on one of their FFP scopes. Seems to me like a guy could use that dot and put that bullet just about anywhere he wanted to in the LR hunting game, especially at 1k and closer.

Scot E.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

All I can say is WOW! I post a question before I leave on a hunting trip and get back to find a great discusion with 8 pages of VERY useful information. Based on this information I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA "SFP" today. I am gonna try it first and see if it suits my needs.
I can not thank everyone enough for all the great information. This is why I love this place!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJHNTR View Post
All I can say is WOW! I post a question before I leave on a hunting trip and get back to find a great discusion with 8 pages of VERY useful information. Based on this information I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA "SFP" today. I am gonna try it first and see if it suits my needs.
I can not thank everyone enough for all the great information. This is why I love this place!!!
Let me know how you like that scope, i am 99% sure thats the scope im going with on a 284 Win for shooting deer/antelope to 800 yards, elk to 600 yards, and prarie dogs/coyotes/rocks as far as i can see'em!!

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Let me know how you like that scope, i am 99% sure thats the scope im going with on a 284 Win for shooting deer/antelope to 800 yards, elk to 600 yards, and prarie dogs/coyotes/rocks as far as i can see'em!!
I got one...I love it...just need my rings to arrive so I can test it out shooting...glass and everything is great through
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
I got one...I love it...just need my rings to arrive so I can test it out shooting...glass and everything is great through
Do you think the reticle is too thin? Too thick? Or just right?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Do you think the reticle is too thin? Too thick? Or just right?
I think it's just about perfect. i'm totally stoked about getting my rings and putting the scope through it's paces. from what I see it is a great scope