Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FFP or SFP Please vote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: FFP or SFP Please vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The shot was awesome the dialing by the operator was not ya I'll put up a season ending thread but a 1200 yard shot is not a 1200 yard kill when you dial every thing but elevation correctly, just think of all the fun screw ups you have to look forward to since you got such a young start at it
Your optic will be fine, my dad shoot that reticle and it's really nice for all round shooting.
I had three screw ups at one time already this season. jacked a shell out because it is muscle memory, didnt chamber one back in, left scope cover on, didnt take safty off. all when the herd of 15 elk were 100 yards away just staring at us.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
But lets be honest about the good and bad points and what really increases the risk of a miss.

Jeff
Ok, for fun I will play along.

How about turret rotation error? Yes, zero stop pretty much fixes this if guys use it right but there are a lot of scope without zero stops that are used for LR hunting. So there is risk of error there.

How about just dialing the wrong number of MOA into the dial. Buck/Bull fever can do that just as easily as it loosing which holdover stadia line you should be using.

How about turret adjustment error? For those that don't check that can be an issue with using turrets vs the reticle.

How about the center crosshair of a SFP moving when changing power magnification?. Yes scopes shouldn't do this but many do if they aren't perfectly centered. I have seen this on higher end scopes too. FFP scopes don't have that issue due to where the reticle is located in the line of lenses.

How about reticle calibration being off at the calibrated power setting? If this isn't checked this can cause error issues. And if it is correct, if you drop the power by half does the reticle really double exactly or is there error there? There is usually error there.

There are positives and negatives to both and risk of error with all options. To me it is a matter of choosing your desired features, then using them a lot so you get used to them. I think that is the best regardless of what method is chosen. My issue is I like experimenting with many of them and some day that may end up costing me an animal, so maybe I need to practice what I preach!

Scot E.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
My HS LR has a reticle thickness of .08 MOA which is half of the FFP version and I've pushed it out on goats to 1200 yards on the nose, at a 1000 yards I feel the reticle thickness is a little heavy doubling it would not work for me, the numbers say it's small but when it's on game it's telling me something else. I've been holding for wind all year and been dead nuts on, not one issue holding wind with a SFP scope but I also know that when I'm turning my scope down I'm in a hunting situation that I'm not going to have time or need to hold wind, it's going to be point and shoot. If I have time to dial I have time to get my optic on the correct power so it has not been a hindrance at all.
I do like holding wind vs dialing, I screw up dialing wind even when I'm looking at the freaking dial, for targets I do still dial windage though.
So personally for me the reticle is way to thick on the FFP and I have not found a need to have the reticle stay the same at all powers, and I don't want a thin small reticle in dark timber on the lowest power and I get a free set of Nightforce rings with my SFP vs the cost of a FFP
I agree, I really like dialing elevation and holding for wind. I have screwed up the windage too and even more so I seem to always have quickly changing wind conditions and holding keeps me engaged on the target instead of getting out of my focus and rhythm by having to make small corrections every little bit on the dial.

BTW, the F1's come with NF ultralight rings included.

Scot E.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Gold Member

I dare this horse to get up again! We'll beat it some more! Lol!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Good video, thanks Feenix
Old 11-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

thanks for posting the video, nice seeing a good visual of the differences...knowing academically and seeing it are two different things.