Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FFP or SFP Please vote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: FFP or SFP Please vote

Being interested in my first FFP scope this has turned out to be a good thread. I hope the OP got a lot of info out of it as I have. I have been dialing elevation for 4 years now and agree with Jeff this is the way to go beyond the zero setup on the rifle and I have not had a incident where I did not have time to dial elevation.

My future plan is to dial each time when the range is beyond the rifle setup and hold off for wind using the reticle and eliminate the error factor of being on the wrong power. I think holding off for wind and being able to quickly adjust to the environment is a really good way to go if one's ability to read the wind is efficient. As for using the elevation hash marks for holdover it could get dicey when the pressure is on but will see with the new scope. I think with a lot of time and practice one might get pretty good at it.

Thank all you guys who are in the know and posted. Very good thread and thanks to the OP for posting.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Jim, when you say using elevation hash marks for windage holdover what does that mean? Did you mean windage hash mark for wind holds???
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Jim, when you say using elevation hash marks for windage holdover what does that mean? Did you mean windage hash mark for wind holds???
Never mind, I think you were talking about elevation holdover. I misunderstood but now I get it.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

My HS LR has a reticle thickness of .08 MOA which is half of the FFP version and I've pushed it out on goats to 1200 yards on the nose, at a 1000 yards I feel the reticle thickness is a little heavy doubling it would not work for me, the numbers say it's small but when it's on game it's telling me something else. I've been holding for wind all year and been dead nuts on, not one issue holding wind with a SFP scope but I also know that when I'm turning my scope down I'm in a hunting situation that I'm not going to have time or need to hold wind, it's going to be point and shoot. If I have time to dial I have time to get my optic on the correct power so it has not been a hindrance at all.
I do like holding wind vs dialing, I screw up dialing wind even when I'm looking at the freaking dial, for targets I do still dial windage though.
So personally for me the reticle is way to thick on the FFP and I have not found a need to have the reticle stay the same at all powers, and I don't want a thin small reticle in dark timber on the lowest power and I get a free set of Nightforce rings with my SFP vs the cost of a FFP
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

I do beleive the reticle on the vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ebr-1moa is .06 MOA on 24x, i think the nightforce np-r1 or whatever it is called (the one Jeff likes), is .069 thick. I hope this isnt going to be too thin in a close range situation.

P.S. Rhian did you start a thread about your antelope hunting this year? And that awesome 1200 yard shot?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
My HS LR has a reticle thickness of .08 MOA which is half of the FFP version and I've pushed it out on goats to 1200 yards on the nose, at a 1000 yards I feel the reticle thickness is a little heavy doubling it would not work for me, the numbers say it's small but when it's on game it's telling me something else. I've been holding for wind all year and been dead nuts on, not one issue holding wind with a SFP scope but I also know that when I'm turning my scope down I'm in a hunting situation that I'm not going to have time or need to hold wind, it's going to be point and shoot. If I have time to dial I have time to get my optic on the correct power so it has not been a hindrance at all.
I do like holding wind vs dialing, I screw up dialing wind even when I'm looking at the freaking dial, for targets I do still dial windage though.
So personally for me the reticle is way to thick on the FFP and I have not found a need to have the reticle stay the same at all powers, and I don't want a thin small reticle in dark timber on the lowest power and I get a free set of Nightforce rings with my SFP vs the cost of a FFP
Thanks for posting your feedback. I still don't know which side of the fence I'm going to land on??? Great thread!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I do beleive the reticle on the vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ebr-1moa is .06 MOA on 24x, i think the nightforce np-r1 or whatever it is called (the one Jeff likes), is .069 thick. I hope this isnt going to be too thin in a close range situation.

P.S. Rhian did you start a thread about your antelope hunting this year? And that awesome 1200 yard shot?
The shot was awesome the dialing by the operator was not ya I'll put up a season ending thread but a 1200 yard shot is not a 1200 yard kill when you dial every thing but elevation correctly, just think of all the fun screw ups you have to look forward to since you got such a young start at it
Your optic will be fine, my dad shoot that reticle and it's really nice for all round shooting.