Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FFP scopes for hunting??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

FFP scopes for hunting??

I've never used a FFP scope and am thinking about trying one on my hunting rifle this year, I don't care about using it for holdover, i just like the idea of using one for windage and not having to worry about what power the scope is on

Just curious what everyones thoughts where, if this has been posted before im sorry I tried to find it
Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: FFP scopes for hunting??

I USE and prefer ffp. I use reticule for holds and wind, I dial also. I like that I can use scope on any power to the same value.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

I use FFP for the reason you mentioned and for others as well.

Here is some reading.

FFP vs SFP

Scot E.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
I use FFP for the reason you mentioned and for others as well.

Here is some reading.

FFP vs SFP

Scot E.
Thanks Scot!! I knew there would be a post about it on here somewhere!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

A few more threads if you are still needing more info.

Vortex Viper PST FFP or SFP?

FFP VS SFP for Hunting

Vortex pst FFP or SFP

1st Focal Plane Reticle

Scot E.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
A few more threads if you are still needing more info.

Vortex Viper PST FFP or SFP?

FFP VS SFP for Hunting

Vortex pst FFP or SFP

1st Focal Plane Reticle

Scot E.
What kind of scopes do you use?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrman View Post
What kind of scopes do you use?
I use both. I started out with SFP like most folks but after I got to try out an FFP scope a few years ago it began a long search for the benefits and drawbacks and the different options that were out there. Thankfully, for me at least, there are a lot more FFP scopes on the market now than ever. And the technology with etched reticles and the precision of the etching has really come a long ways.

For Big Game I use FFP mostly. Still in the process of transferring everything over to FFP but that is the goal.

I still have SFP scopes my varmint guns and they may stay that way, at least for the really small targets like ground squirrels and rock chucks. But to be honest the new FFP reticles are plenty thin enough for even those small targets.

There are a lot of reasons to think about FFP but for me I really like being able to use the reticle for close range shots, say maybe 300-600 yards. It is really fast and was an easy transition for me to get used to. Atmospheric conditions aren't a factor at those distances so it is pretty much range, read the drops in MILs and shoot. Past 600 yards I dial in the distance as things get much more difficult and require a lot more precision.

I also like FFP because I usually hold for wind as well. I find this easier to do because a lot of times I shoot in varying winds, mountain and canyon country, and it is easier for me to just move side to side a bit on the horizontal crosshair as conditions change compared to continually adjusting the windage turret or waiting for a similar wind condition before I can send a bullet downrange. I will at times dial in some wind if I feel there is a solid wind factor that I can constantly calculate for. Then I hold for the variable part as conditions change. I hope that makes sense.

Finally, FFP is very nice if you have a shooting or hunting partner. It is nice to be able to call hits or misses in MILS or MOA on any power and instantly be able to have your shooting partner make the correction and get another shot off if needed. This calling shots is also really nice for practice when you are trying to get used to a certain wind condition, etc.

Scot E.