Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FFP ro SFP Vortex PST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: FFP ro SFP Vortex PST

No worries Jon, just stirring the pot a little Like Ernie said, different strokes for different folks. Just thought I would flesh it out a little.

It's not that the SFP has saved the day for me, it's just I think I can put the
$$$ to better use, like maybe some custom bullets, or some good dies, or a higher grade of scope. At least with the PST you don't get a huge jump in price going from SFP to FFP.

Sure with a slower velocity cartridge it would be more helpful for close shots to have FFP. It's just I've always used the holdover method and it's natural for me. My biggest problem before range finders was guessing the range.

Interesting about the PST glass...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Interesting about the PST glass...
Yeah, as Iíve said before, for whatever reason, the glass in my 6-24 PST is really good. In the 4-16 itís a bit disappointing. Itís still a very good scope for the money but it does not have the best glass.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

I guess I am a little confused, even in the SFP PST's you know if you are on 8x instead of 16x the mil distance on your scope is 2X and so on. The manual says the scope is marked this way. Wouldn't that allow you to work just as fast for the most part? Not being a smart a** as I dont have a Vortex scope, had one on order but didn't want to wait and broke down and got a Nightforce. I did go SFP with the mrad reticle it just seems easier to me as I have never owned a FFP scope to begin with but I labored quite a bit with the decision as well.

Seems like the same argument as mil vs MOA. Mils work better for me since radians make sense in my head from past experience and with my limited grasp of trig. I know the concepts/logic are basically the same one just stuck with me better.

Just my $0.02, most of you have far more experience than I do. I am pretty sure I am about minute-of-barn at 800-1K yds , most of you target shoot that range frequently. There is also no such thing as a quick 500yd shot at an animal for me. I Hope to get there one day which is why I am stepping up the scope quality and capabilities.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdinaz View Post
you know if you are on 8x instead of 16x the mil distance on your scope is 2X and so on.
Yes, you can do that. For me, 8X is a bit much for an all around general walk around setting so I typically carry the scope set on a lower power than this. So if I need to take my eye out of the scope and look at the scope while I set the power ring to a specific location...why not just dial the turret to a specific location instead? Having to do that sort of ruins the whole thing.

The bigger point is for people who use the reticle much, after using a FFP in all these various scenarios the idea of having to worry about what the power ring is set on just seems silly. Why on earth would I want that? There is no advantage to it, only downsides.

Unlike on the range or even in competition, in hunting you never know when something is going to jump out and you'll need to spring into action. You don't always get the chance to set your scope to the proper power and get ready while you wait for the buzzer to go off. The idea of a Mil always being a Mil or an MOA always being an MOA is so simple and gives such peace of mind if you plan on using the reticle for anything, the better question again is why on earth you'd want it any other way.