Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FFP ro SFP Vortex PST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

Re: FFP ro SFP Vortex PST

For hunting, I prefer MOA.
But you can do it in MILs too. Your call-It is a preference thing
Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
Ive read over tons of threads on this issue, all the pros and cons. I still for the life of me cannot make up my mind as to which i want. This will be a scope for hunting, i will also have yardage turrets. I have always had SFP scopes and am leaning that direction. But i dont want to spend 900$ and make the wrong choice. Im at a loss!!!

If the country you hunt is such that normally you have time to dial the scope if the target is beyond your PBR then a SFP scope with a duplex cross hair is all you need.

On the other hand if you want to use the scope for ranging, hold over's and hold off for wind adjustment then the FFP with the appropriate rectile would be a better choice as it will work on any power setting. Also with the PST you can get the MOA or MIL reticle in the SFP but would have to be on the designated power for the reticle to be accurate for hold over's ect.

Personally I prefer FFP with a MOA rectile and MOA turret's.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

i've never been a fan of FFP scopes, and i'm still not to big on them. ever since we were shooting at crows with a couple guns and we couldn't use the one with a FFP scope because the reticle covered up the crow and you couldn't see it. now this was a few years ago and the reticles have come a long ways. now you can line up on something pretty small at long range and the crosshair on lower powers isn't a big deal because you can illuminate them. my question is do you only hunt where illuminated reticles are legal? it seems more and more states are outlawing illuminated reticles. almost like a new fad. to be honest i still prefer a SFP reticle for a gun that will be used in heavy and open cover where the potential of a long shot is there.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
I may be simple, but I don't understand the use for a 2nd focal plane scope or even why it exists. On max power, you may be able to use the reticle for estimating distances and what not, but everything changes when you change power and it can get confusing. In a FFP, the distance to your first mil dot is the same whether it's on 20x or 5x... All the guesswork is eliminated, the graph for magnification and holdovers for different wind speeds on different powers is eliminated. If all you do is have a crosshair or simple target dot and you don't hold for wind, then save a couple bucks and get a SFP, but otherwise, in the real world it seems like a FFP is just much better for the application. I'd get FFP.
Here we go again FFP or SFP, pick what you like. Here's the way I see it....

FFP = much mo $$$ = big bucks - (big factor here)

In spot and stalk hunting situations, my scope is always set on low power. My loads are at least 3400 fps with my scope zeroed @ 300 yds. I can easily holdover to 400-500 yds (500 yd drop, 18", 3.4 MOA) Farther than 400-500 yds I crank full power which is the same as FFP. So why was an FFP ever invented? (I am confident someone will tell us ) I just don't have any use for them.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Mark, you are absolutely hopeless.
Quote:
Ive read over tons of threads on this issue, all the pros and cons.
Then you should have plenty of info to make the best choice for you.
Quote:
I still for the life of me cannot make up my mind as to which i want.
OK then, fine. I'll just tell you! Get FFP. Hear me now, believe me later. There, problem solved. Next question?
Quote:
is MIL or MOA a better choice?
Mainly a matter of preference. The real functional differences between them is for most scopes you have .1 mil clicks (roughly 1/3 MOA) instead of 1/4 MOA. For most scopes this means you'll have more total travel per turn of the knob, so fewer turns at long range and a bit easier to keep track of. But they're a little more coarse.

The rest is just personal preference. I wrote up a thing a while back I could find if you like on how Mils make the numbers much simpler, etc.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys i just went for the FFP with MOA. I think it will be awesome. Now i just have to decide on some rings to go with my 20moa egw base.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Mark, you are absolutely hopeless.
You've led another poor lad astray