Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

FFP for prarie dog and rock chucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: FFP for prarie dog and rock chucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
7" steel target at 700 yds.

If I remember correctly we needed to make 4 clicks into the wind.

There was about 15 to 20 mph right to left wind.
Better try to remember harder on that one Chief.

15 mph FV wind at 700 yards would be closer to 7 moa or 28 clicks with that 6br, not 4 clicks.

That's why I use a Ballistic app over a ballistic turret. It gives you both elevation and windage.

Jeff
Old 05-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Better try to remember harder on that one Chief.

15 mph FV wind at 700 yards would be closer to 7 moa or 28 clicks with that 6br, not 4 clicks.

That's why I use a Ballistic app over a ballistic turret. It gives you both elevation and windage.

Jeff
You are correct as usual Broz. At 68 years old my memory is terrible. If you don't believe me ask my wife. According to her I'm wrong about everything.

joseph
Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you don't believe me ask my wife. According to her I'm wrong about everything.
joseph
I can relate to that.....

Jeff
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I can relate to that.....

Jeff

Now I think I remember. It must have been 4 mph wind and 4 clicks or maybe 10 mph and 7 clicks or no wind and 11 clicks. Oh damn I think my wife is right AGAIN like always.

joseph
Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
When increasing the power with a FFP scope the target enlarges the same amount as the reticule. If you can hold on a bullet hole at 100 yds. you can hold on a bullet hole at any distance if you can see it
This is you rationalizing what doesn't pass tests..
THE problem: You can't hardly center bullet holes at 100yds with FFP set at 24x, because the reticle is too large. A groundhog at distance(like 500) is like a bullet hole at 100. So to center on the target area a GH provides at 500yds, you would need to turn the power down.

With SFP, NONE of this is an issue(just the opposite). SFP targeting resolution increases with power.
And what is the advantage of FFP scopes for a hunter? There may be something in a stretch.
But there does not exist, a FFP scope(even the $best of the $best), that is as precise an aiming instrument at distance as SFP scopes like NXS, Mk4, March, etc.
And whatever results you can produce at 700 with FFP, you could do better with SFP.

I think HUNTERS should consider this
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Mikecr,

When I hold on the center of the X ring at 1,000 yds. at 24 power I think the cross hair is 1/2" or less from dead center. My rifle is a pretty good shooter, but my biggest problem is getting 5 shots off as fast as I can to hopefully have all 5 shots go down range with the wind exactly the same. It is not easy with a single shot rifle. This target is the second time I ever shot at 1,000 yds. I did change the scope to a 18 power SFP with EXTRA FINE reticule I used for bench rest shooting. I did not do as good with that scope only because the wind was changing back and forth very fast.

The target was shot with my FFP PST at 24 power. Not to bad for the second try with the smallest group of 8+1/8 inches. My best group was shot the 5th. time I competed and one group was 3+1/4". I was going to hang it on the wall, but my darling wife threw it out while I was at work. GRRRRRRRRRR.

I'm also posting the first target I shot to test my new custom turret which was at 400 yds. and only 3 shots. I was just trying to see if it was on the paper.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: If you don't think you can shoot good with a FFP scope at high power that is your choice. I personally have proved to my self that I can shoot just as good as with a SFP scope.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
FFP for prarie dog and rock chucks-1000-yd.-target.jpg   FFP for prarie dog and rock chucks-400-yd-target.jpg  

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

with this I have no issues aiming at pdogs at distance. Just aiming at deer at 800 yards it is very simple to pick a spot. if mirage is bad I can dial it back and hold wind with out a worry about where the power ring is. It really comes down to personal preference and I prefer the ffp for my self.