Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Feedback regarding mid price thermal imaging scope for predator hunting ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Gold Member

Feedback regarding mid price thermal imaging scope for predator hunting ?

I'm looking to expand my predator hunting to night time since that is when they are most active. My activity is exclusively on private land, usually farmland with livestock (hence predation).

I have been out at night with electronic caller, predator light and a scope with an illuminated reticle, but what scares me to death is that it is impossible to tell whether there might be sheep, horses or whatever behind my intended target (which is only eye reflections - one generally can't see the body).

To be more effective and safer (which will result in more shots fired) I am thinking of getting a mid range thermal weapon sight. It is a very big ticket item, but I can't see anything else I can do which would give more bang for the buck. We are talking about $8000...

Is there anyone who can give me any practical advice / feedback on any of these devices ? I have been looking at the ATN Thor 320 sights. There are a few clip on devices now, but I am put off since they mention "light caliber" weapons like the M16/M4 and I want to be able to use this on any rifle I own at this price... The Thor 640's (much better resolution) start at $11k which is well out my budget...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Feedback regarding mid price thermal imaging scope for predator hunting ?

What do you think ?

You might want to send a pm to this poster?

Jeff
Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

$22k ??? Don't think so. I'm not asking for taxpayer help for this bill....
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
$22k ??? Don't think so. I'm not asking for taxpayer help for this bill....
Did you contact him? Or was it just easier to post a smart reply back?

Sorry, was just trying to help you.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

Jeff, the unit he was looking at is a full spec military unit that has been in production since 1998. The $5-8k ATN Thor units will not even be close. He was asking for an opinion on that unit and didn't get a reply yet.

Its possible that people who own this equipment don't talk much about it.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

It's possible I know the man.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thermal cameras are great for detecting mammals, but not so good at recognizing the difference between similar mammals. Thermal sights are expensive because they are designed and built to withstand shock and recoil. You could save money by going with a handheld thermal camera, rather than a thermal weapon sight. Once you confirm the shot is safe (no other mammals behind the target) using a handheld thermal camera, you could take the shot quickly using your existing equipment.

That's what I do during nighttime live fire tests. This is the model I use for range safety.
FLIR-hs-307-patrol-65mm-thermal-camera

The model you're looking at has about 1/3 the range of the FLIR because the lens focal length is shorter. The range to detect a man-size object is 450 m for the ATN 320. I'm guessing that the range to recognize a man (tell the difference between two different size and shape men) is only about 113 m. The range to recognize something about half that size (i.e., coyote vs small lamb) is about 56 m.

So, you can tell the difference between a coyote and small livestock out to about 60 yards, which is pretty short. However, you can detect the presence of large livestock out to to about 900 yds. These are very rough range estimates because range is dependent on the size of the target.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent