Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

F.O.V. for a beginner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: F.O.V. for a beginner

By the way, Thanks Brent for answering the question.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:06 PM

If you are shooting a low recoil round and not adjusting the scope a lot for long range stuff a cheep scope will work. The first 3-9 scope I had on my 270 win was under $100. Adjusted it twice a year, once for deer season and than back for my varmin load. I ran that scope for 5 years and about 2000 rounds. Sold the gun and scope about 10 years ago to my cousin and he still uses the combo. The 6-24 might be to much mag for under 300y hunting. I just picked up a 2.5-10 mildot scope for shooting 10-800y. Had the choice between 2.5-10 or 6-24 and went with the lower for closer shots. Guys are shooting 1000y with fixed 10X scops so 24 is realy not needed. If you want to shoot long range and not adjust for elevation the mildot works well for holdover shots. You can also use it to range game. Its all up to the shooter in the end.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

I used to buy tasco, bsa, cheap bushells, this past summer i broke down and bought a really nice scope. I started shooting better, seeing mirage better, everything was alot better, I could even see my bullets holes at 500 yards, as bounty hunter said get a sightron/nikon/or bausch and lomb, there about 100 more,new,than what your looking at now and their twice the scope.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

Musket O, After a fair amount of experience trying to shoot out to even 500 or so yards with inexpensive scopes,I went to IOR scopes. Great, but kinda spendy. I would agree with others here and suggest buying a higher quality used scope. I would also suggest getting a mil-dot reticle. On inexpensive scopes I've had better luck keeping my POI from drifting by using the dots for hold over rather than trusting the turrets to be real accurate or repeatable. You don't have to spend a lot to have fun, just be realistic in your expectations of your equipment. My .02
Old 01-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

The problems you often run into with the lowest end scopes were described. If you have to go there, you might consider a BDC reticle so a turret tracking problem can be elliminated if it is a problem.

Might be of interest -

This is what I did when I was on a super tight budget, I been there too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It isn't too advertised really, but they do offer it if you ask. Order $150 or more at Cabela's and tell them to put it on the 6 pay interest free plan. You're still stuck to the budget, you just don't have to WAIT. Visa or Visa Check Card

Make a late payment ONE time and they'll never extend you credit again! Don't be late!

Most of my higher end items, GPS, Burris spotter, YP1000 laser, and some other stuff were all on the 6 pay. $50-150 a month for quality equipment in the end will really be worth it, especially on a scope.

A couple good options -

The 6-24 B&L 4200 would be $60 a month.
The 6.5-20AO Monarch Nikon $60 a month.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Bronze Member

As part of the original question FOV and eye relief are inter related. The closer the eye relief the wider the FOV and vice versa.

Leupolds are often praised for their generous eye relief but it comes at the expense of FOV.

Have you considered a second hand fixed power - generaly what I get.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks to all who answered. I should be able to make an educated decision based on FOV and EYE relief. I am in no rush to buy the first scope that happens to come along, just picked a couple to ask a question with. Brent, I sure will look into the deal at Cabela's. For now, I started by removing the weaver base and rings, and installed a Buris set. I will make due with my 3-9x50 Simmons until I can research the scopes a little more. Jeff