Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Explain how a 20 MOA rail work for newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Explain how a 20 MOA rail work for newbie

Hi I was told that a Millett TRS was an 800 yard scope when I bought it ,but now I check it out with Millett and they say its a 600 yard scope. I think I need a 20 MOA base but not sure. How does an 20 MOA base/rail work? Is the extra height on the front of the rail or the back? I am using it on an old remington 7400......3006, that probably shoots better than I do. I plan on bying a remington varmit in 308, but want to play around with this scope and rifle to see if I even have talent enough to shoot long distance

Thanks
Dave
(cdwyke)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Explain how a 20 MOA rail work for newbie

Quote:
How does an 20 MOA base/rail work?
Scope Mount Selection - Tapered or Flat?
Quote:
Is the extra height on the front of the rail or the back?
Back.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Explain how a 20 MOA rail work for newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwyke View Post
Hi I was told that a Millett TRS was an 800 yard scope when I bought it ,but now I check it out with Millett and they say its a 600 yard scope. I think I need a 20 MOA base but not sure. How does an 20 MOA base/rail work? Is the extra height on the front of the rail or the back? I am using it on an old remington 7400......3006, that probably shoots better than I do. I plan on bying a remington varmit in 308, but want to play around with this scope and rifle to see if I even have talent enough to shoot long distance

Thanks
Dave
(cdwyke)
Dave,

The first rifle I ever purchased was a Rem 7400 in .30-06, bought it in 1981. I still have it, and it will shoot 1 MOA. However, some of these 7400s are not nearly as accurate. You may want to first see how good of a group you can get at 100 yards before worrying too much about 500+ with that rifle. The only modification I made was swapping in different trigger springs to bring it down to a 3# trigger pull. It's still not a great trigger but it's at least improved to almost very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadPilot View Post
Interesting article. He states that "in an ideal world (it obviously does not exist) you would be able to zero your rifle and scope combination at 100 yards at exactly the mechanical zero of the telescopic sight." Actually, using Burris Signature rings with their inserts + a ballistics program, I've been able to sight in my rifles for a 200 yard zero and match them within a few clicks of their optical (may differ from mechanical a bit) zero. And, this is done using a laser boresighter and the garage door 100 yards away acroos the street. Bring them to the range and find tune them at 200 yards. This could, of course, be adjusted if one wants to be able to add/subtract MOA for various yardages; I know some try to put the mechanical zero part way between 200 and 500 yard adjustments. I'm not sure how long ago the article was written but today you can get it a lot closer than he describes.

Anyway, my point Dave is that you may want to test that gun a bit before trying to hot rod it into a long range gun. If you want to turn it into a real hot rod, look here:
Custom Remington 7400 7600 750 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith Gunsmithing