Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Explain the differences in optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Bronze Member
Re: Explain the differences in optics

There are a few decent scopes made these days in the 200.00 dollar range. Anything less than that I wouldn't put on anything but a .22.

Termonology might be off, but less expensive glass will often times have a more of a black donut effect around the outside of the viewing field.

Quality optics will retain and repeat their zeros.

ie: Sighted in, you could adjust the scope say 8 clicks right, 8 click up (2" either way) Shoot a group and than readjust the scope back to where you had it and it'll be back where it should be.

Try that with a 50-100 scope and don't be surprised if it hasn't adjusted much or if it won't go back to zero.

High end scope with superior lenses and coatings will transmit more light. Some cheap scopes just make huge objectives to try and off set this.

If you ever have the chance to look at the 1000-2000 scopes, but know you'll never be able to afford them. Than don't look at all, it's hard to go back. I have two pairs of Swavorski binoculars and there's really only two other makers that have anything to even compete with them (my opinion)

90% of my scopes are Leupolds and they hold their own. There are equal or better scopes out there, but Leupold has one of the best warranties if you ever need it. I haven't, hopefully never will need to send one in.

If you on a budget take a look at the Bushnell 3200's or look for a used Leupold in that price range. Lots of them out there for 200-300.00

Unread 01-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Longshot38 explained it very well. I'd only add that you should get the best scope you can afford while at the same time carefully weigh what you want to use it for and what kind of rifle, i.e. can it handle the recoil, does it overwhelm the barrel length...those kinds of things. Rarely do you find a scope that doesn't have tradeoffs. The expensive ones generally have the best features, but will most people get that much more out of a USO or Premier than they can get out of a Sightron SIII for a fourth to a third the price? Better to double or triple the number of practice rounds you put downrange once you get past the $600 price level.

Bushnell Elite, Sightron and Vortex' upcoming tactical scopes all provide decent options in that range.
Unread 01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

I have been looking at Bushnell Elite 3200's, but really really want a Zeiss *drool* My friend has a 3.5-10 Zeiss Conquest at his shop, it has target turrets and one of the range finding recticles. Not sure if it's worth the $700 asking price though. I want that one to go on my .300 Win Mag. I have a VX-II 3-9x40 on my .338 Win Mag.
Unread 01-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

i assume you want a variable and not a straight power scope. straight powers are much cheaper and very dependable. don't know what power range you're looking for, but my vote goes to Sightron. i think they are the best value for the money. Bear Basin has the 4x16 Big Sky for 479.