Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Entry level scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Entry level scope

I've got two 10x elites and they have been great scopes. Been running them for a few years. I've spent a lot time shooting pdogs with them on a .223. Always tracks well and returns to zero. The other I've had on a 260, 300wm and 300wsm. Still running like a champ. They got me started and I still fall back to them when I want to get something running quick and I'm waiting on a scope to show. I didn't like the fixed 10 much for hunting but for targets and varmint shooting it has been awesome.
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Scot,

Yes, the exit pupil will be well under 3mm at 16X, so it's not for low light shooting, and even on a bright day you have to be lined up perfectly behind the eyebell to prevent blackouts. The upside of critical eye positioning is that you are not off to one side where parallax error occurs and everything is sharper when you are exactly in the right eye position.

The semi-target turrets are also on the 40/44 aspherical model that I have. I like these in-between turrets that are easier to adjust than hunter turrets and less bulky than target turrets. Other companies should pick up on this, as I am now looking for it on any new scopes I might purchase.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I have 2 Elite 3200 10x40 scopes. One stopped tracking windage when the turret is rotated CCW. I can get the reticle back into position by rotating the elevation knob back and forth. That's not acceptable, of course, and this scope has been retired.

At the $200 price point, quality is a bit sketchy. Otherwise, it's a nice scope with decent optics, low glare and a clean sight picture. I use the remaining one for varmint hunting.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

My "serious" hunting scope is a Burris Signature 4-16x44 that sits on my CZ 550, which is a serious hunting rifle made for hard use. It has a MAP of $520, and that is about what you have to pay for a really decent hunting scope you can really depend on under hard and frequent use. If you add target turrets with extremely dependable tracking, then of course the price goes up. If you add a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty, then the price goes up some more.

But for $200-$300 there are a lot of nice scopes that are fairly dependable with fairly good tracking. They just aren't what you use for life threatening and very hard use applications. With a ballistic reticle, you do not have to change anything unless your ammo load changes, your altitude changes by 1000+ feet, or your temperature changes by 20+ degrees under typical hunting conditions. A cheaper scope that you "recoil-in" with a shot or two after changes are made is acceptable for most people. From then on, your ballistic reticle does all the range and windage changes for you. Besides, under actual hunting situations you usually don't have time for knob twiddling. A perfect tracking tactical scope that depends on knob twiddling to place the bullet on target is a techno nerd scope that will probably cost you lost opportunities under fast changing hunting conditions.