Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Elite 6500 vs Viper vs Weaver super slam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Elite 6500 vs Viper vs Weaver super slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
For adjustment, the Leupy dead last. A 1" tube equates to less elevation adjustment than a 30mm. Thats why the 30mm has become the defacto standatd and they are getting bigger....

Problem is, the bigger (diameter) the tube, the less rigid it becomes so at some point, rigidity (and repeatability) will become more important than elevation adjustment.
A larger diameter tube is MORE rigid when wall thickness remains constant.

You can bend an aluminum arrow shaft with your hands but increase the diameter to 1" and, even with the same wall thickness, you can't bend it.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Elite 6500 vs Viper vs Weaver super slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennaspeed View Post
A larger diameter tube is MORE rigid when wall thickness remains constant.

You can bend an aluminum arrow shaft with your hands but increase the diameter to 1" and, even with the same wall thickness, you can't bend it.
I agree, however, if the tube thickness is constant from the smaller diameter to the larger is entirely a crapshoot because no manufacturer states that and never will.

To maintain a thicker wall increases scope weight, an undesireable trait.

I always look at the optic weight as it relates to the whole package. I don't want to lug around a tank unless it's on horseback and it in a scabbard,

Notwithstanding, bigger tube more elevation travel. I know that well, I have an older Mark3 with a 1" tube and it's easy to run out of adjustment without a cant rail.

Newer scopes are going to a one piece tube/erector compartment assembly, I presume welded as one piece. It would be very hard to draw the tube ends and erector compartment in one piece.

One piece makes the entire (weldment) more rigid with a thinner wall.

Like I stated, the biggest drawback is limited elevation travel.