Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Duplex Reticle - At a disadvantage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

Duplex Reticle - At a disadvantage?

I recently purchased a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10x44 scope. The scope came with Nikon's Nikoplex reticle, which wouldn't have been my first choice but the price was too good to pass up.

I plan on mounting it on an AR15 with a Burris P.E.P.R mount. Principle purpose is cutting paper and as a varmint rifle. I'd like to reach out to 600 yards but admittedly I'm new to mildot/ranging reticles and turrets that allow me to dial in elevation changes.

My experience is with hunting rifles and staying within the maximum point blank range of a particular round. When shots presented themselves beyond that range or I need to compensate for wind, holdover and Kentucky windage was the method I used.

I'll have a range card for the rifle and only shoot one load in this rifle. I'll also rely on a laser range finder to help with distance to the target.

Does the duplex reticle present a disadvantage given the intended purpose?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: Duplex Reticle - At a disadvantage?

If you are dialing changes then the duplex is no disadvantage, in some ways it is an advantage as there is only one aiming point.

Stu.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

Stu: Thanks. Kind of my thinking as well if I have the correct dope on the rifle/round combination. Compensating for the wind could get interesting, but that has always seemed like more of an art than a science.

Wind in Colorado always has the tendency to change what it is doing the moment before the trigger breaks.

Mike
Old 08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

You are right about the wind! I always dial for the wind and then try and take the shot when the wind is the same as what i have dialed for, can be frustrating though.

Stu.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

A duplex can still be used similar to other "tactical" reticles.....within reason.

Set up a target with inch grid lines at exactly 100 yds.
Look through the scope and determine how much distance (in inches) there is between the X in the middle and the thicker portion of the vertical wire below the X.

If that distance is 3", then you have an automatic 3 moa (approx. but very close to true moa) hold over or windage marker.

If that distance is 5", then you have a 5 moa marker, ect.

This distance or subtention can easily be visually divided by 2 or maybe even 4 for finer moa values.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

Great idea. I have digging through Nikon's webiste to see if they had any additional information on the MOA equivalents on the thickness of the lines...etc but your method will give me actuals with this rifle and load.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

I also like to apply the plex reticles for some downrange zeroing and rangefinding. Just checked the Nikon catalog and on pg. 54 it gives the subtension between post tips at 7.93 IPHY (@ 10x). This system oughtta' be great for windage applications to a limit of 1/2 that (actually probably even further, as i have successfully interpolated to about 2x the post tips subtensions. If i were setting up that optic i'd apply reticle to it's vertical limit then turret for longer distances.