Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Dry Fireing practice reveals bad Leupold Mark4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Dry Fireing practice reveals bad Leupold Mark4

Eye piece lock ring is tight. Just checked. No perceptable movement when I grab and twist the eyepiece or the lock ring, they feel pretty snug.

Thanks for that suggestion though.

The reticle is etched I believe. It's the TMR in an 8.5-25X50 LRT

Last edited by SBruce; 07-04-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Eye piece lock ring is tight. Just checked. No perceptable movement when I grab and twist the eyepiece or the lock ring, they feel pretty snug.

Thanks for that suggestion though.

The reticle is etched I believe. It's the TMR in an 8.5-25X50 LRT
I have the same scope Leupold 8.5-25X50 LRT w/TMR and front focal plane reticle on my Tac rifle...
Iíve never seen any movement; your reticle glass lens is loose for sure. It's a great scope and I'm sure Leupold will more then take care of the problem(s), their a great company with some super people, and people are the company.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Dry Fireing practice reveals bad Leupold Mark4-m1a-tactical-m700-.308-cal-004.jpg   Dry Fireing practice reveals bad Leupold Mark4-m700-.i-.308-nato-010.jpg  

Dry Fireing practice reveals bad Leupold Mark4-m700-.i-.308-nato-013.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
How many of you ever see the reticle move when the fireing pin falls?

Yesterday, I tested some loads (nothing very impressive, scope was already suspect, rifle hasn't shown anything impressive with said scope) and afterwards I decided to dry fire while still set up on the bench with a very steady/stable hold..............the reticle moved right by as much as 1/2" at 100 yds every time I dry fired. I'm fairly certain it wasn't me because I could pull the trigger and not move the rifle anywhere near that much with an uncocked firing pin. This has got me thinking that if just the pin vibration is moving the reticle up to 1/2", then how much is recoil moving the reticle?

Next plan is to try another scope obviously, but I am wondering how many of you have ever seen similar things, and was the scope indeed bad if you did???

Thanks in advance.
the gun moves when the firing pin slams into the front of the chamber. it's not the reticle moving inside the scope.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
the gun moves when the firing pin slams into the front of the chamber. it's not the reticle moving inside the scope.
Well that would bring me back to the rifle having a problem and being extremely picky about ammo it will shoot under 3/4 moa. The only 5 shot groups this gun has fired that are below 3/4 minute were shot with a different scope on it.?

The rifle really should shoot, and I've already had it back to the smith to check bedding. All checked out ok. Tried 5 bullets, different seating depths, two primers. Two powders, no reason it shouldn't shoot one hole groups by now. Even blind luck should've stumbled across something that would shoot sub 1/2 minute.

Nesika action, pillar bedded into a heavy resin filled wood stock. Heavy straight taper Krieger barrel, 12 twist 22-250, fully floated from the action forward. Jewel trigger set at 10 oz. 1913 rail on top. Barrel is not loose, action and base screws are tight. The barrel didn't move a dial indicator any at all when the action screws were loosened alternately.

If it's the rifle, I am guessing that it's chamber/bore alignment, action/barrel alignment, or bad barrel/bad crown.? The throat hasn't lengthened much yet. Testing with another scope is in the plans at the moment, unless there's any other suggestions.

One thing I found interesting with this particular action, is there is no recoil lug. The lug is the heavy tang at the rear of the action. Anyone got a rifle like that?

Last edited by SBruce; 07-04-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

SBruce,
I'd agree with Davewilson; "if" the reticle just appeared to shimmy a very, very little when you dry fire it. But from the sound of itíÖ, it sounds like they move quite a bit. If it's not the mount, rings or ocular lens lock ring. Well after that it's going to have to be something that holds the reticle which is on etched glass in your case... that only leaves the spring pressure on the L&W adjustment that put pressure on the cam-tube or the cam-tube which holds the reticle lens is loose.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Gold Member

Yes had a leup vxIII do the same thing. They did fix it though with no hassle.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Rings are Nightforce Ultralights. Everything is torqued to spec and double checked twice now.

I've got another scope coming............will eventually need a "backup" anyway. I'll send this one in to Leupold, if nothing else to at least have it checked out. I've lost faith in the scope at this point. Problem may not be 100% scope, but we'll see.

Thanks for the responses.

Last edited by SBruce; 07-05-2011 at 12:32 PM.