Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Dry Fireing practice reveals bad Leupold Mark4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Dry Fireing practice reveals bad Leupold Mark4

How many of you ever see the reticle move when the fireing pin falls?

Yesterday, I tested some loads (nothing very impressive, scope was already suspect, rifle hasn't shown anything impressive with said scope) and afterwards I decided to dry fire while still set up on the bench with a very steady/stable hold..............the reticle moved right by as much as 1/2" at 100 yds every time I dry fired. I'm fairly certain it wasn't me because I could pull the trigger and not move the rifle anywhere near that much with an uncocked firing pin. This has got me thinking that if just the pin vibration is moving the reticle up to 1/2", then how much is recoil moving the reticle?

Next plan is to try another scope obviously, but I am wondering how many of you have ever seen similar things, and was the scope indeed bad if you did???

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Dry Fireing practice reveals bad Leupold Mark4

I have never seen anything like that
I would email or call leupold and see what they say
Im sure they will make it right
retiredcpo
Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Never seen it on dry fire but had two do this in the same season. Both were Lupy XV 3's LR with 30mm tubes and side focus. Rifles were proven under 1 moa guns that went to 3" shooters at 100. Heck one went to an 8" gun at 100. New scopes fixed both rifles. Their warranty is great but this was the beginning of my Lupy's all being sold off. Just can't trust them after that.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
How many of you ever see the reticle move when the fireing pin falls?

Yesterday, I tested some loads (nothing very impressive, scope was already suspect, rifle hasn't shown anything impressive with said scope) and afterwards I decided to dry fire while still set up on the bench with a very steady/stable hold..............the reticle moved right by as much as 1/2" at 100 yds every time I dry fired. I'm fairly certain it wasn't me because I could pull the trigger and not move the rifle anywhere near that much with an uncocked firing pin. This has got me thinking that if just the pin vibration is moving the reticle up to 1/2", then how much is recoil moving the reticle?

Next plan is to try another scope obviously, but I am wondering how many of you have ever seen similar things, and was the scope indeed bad if you did???

Thanks in advance.
They don't my friend; you've got a problem.. Agree... call scope manufacture.
Are they etched or wire? The wire usually just fall if there that loose.
Good luck
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Yes unfortunately I have. Ditto on seemingly good rifles going to hell without notice. I've seen a crosshair completely disappear (not leupold). Send it back-good news is they will fix it, bad news maybe not first time. Process may include getting back with a note saying nothing wrong, and not fixed, or saying nothing wrong but fixed.
The older I get the more I wonder how many good rifles get moved on because of an undiagnosed scope issue.

Last edited by HARPERC; 07-04-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add word
Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Before you panic, check the lock ring on the ocular lens .

When adjusting the eye piece for your eye you must loosen the lock ring to adjust.

If it is not re-tightened when adjusted is complete the reticule will move.

This is because of the thread fit when loose.

This may not be the problem but it could be and It could save you a lot of trouble.

Let us know because every scope with the lock ring will have this problem if not tight.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

SBruce,

J E custom has a good point; if it comes back as fixed with no explanation'..., that {lock ring on the ocular lens} might have been the problem in the first place.
Good luck